Most Dangerous in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

durian

Reaction score
I know Thailand has Scorpion and Trigger fish but an instructor told me that near some wrecks in Pattaya some have spotted the Box Jelly Fish--I thought these various dangerous little creatures were only found in Australia.

By the way I also heard of an incident in Pattaya, Thailand where a DM was doing a wreck dive and was badly stung by a Portugese Man-O-War. They got him back to the boat and ran out of vinegar so they used urine to relieve him of his agony.

While playing in the waters of southern Thailand (Andaman Sea side) I saw a sign warning the presence of the usually docile sea snake; interestingly, the sign was positioned so that swimmers could read it as they were exiting the water. I also heard that there is a poisonous snail with a very pretty shell in deeper waters.

JustAddWater:
I also heard that there is a poisonous snail with a very pretty shell in deeper waters.

Cone snails... the shell is shaped like a geometric cone. Stay away from those things, and never assume the shell is dead, even if found on the beach. Few natural toxins are as deadly.

Box jellies are also called commonly sea wasps, but the technical term is cubozoan jelly. The most popular nasty is a Chironex species in Australian shallow waters, but members are found throughout the Indo-Pacific... there's even a variety (Chiropsalmus) in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. One of them killed a child in Texas back in the late 1980's.

Unlike other jellies, cubozoans have EYES, and use them to move towards potential food (i.e. people). Yuk!

archman:
Cone snails... the shell is shaped like a geometric cone. Stay away from those things, and never assume the shell is dead, even if found on the beach. Few natural toxins are as deadly.

Thanks for telling me about this cone snail. They are beautiful things and would probably be quite tempting to touch. I read about them and it said they had a venom simolar to that of the puffer fish. I have seen many puffer fish on the beaches in Thailand. I always worried that some child or animal would play with oen of these. With the puffers, I do not know if touching one would cause alarm, but I was surpised so see so many on the beaches.

archman:
Box jellies are also called commonly sea wasps, but the technical term is cubozoan jelly. The most popular nasty is a Chironex species in Australian shallow waters, but members are found throughout the Indo-Pacific... there's even a variety (Chiropsalmus) in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. One of them killed a child in Texas back in the late 1980's.

When I went diving in Green Island, in Cairns Australia, I was going to dive with just shorts/tshirt, but the DM made me put on a lycra bodysuit. While diving, my upper lip was stinging, but I thought nothing of it. When getting back on the boat, a guy was there with vinegar sprraying everyone on the face/hands that asked for it. It was because of 'sea wasps', which were irritating but harmless (so the DM said). I though box jellyfish were deadly?
Also while diving on the outer reefs, we were told that it was mating season for trigger fish. If attacked, flip onto your back (so you can see behind you) and swim away. If the trigger fish follows and trys to attack, kick him in the head with your fins. Dont swim to the surface, otherwise the fish will follow you! Never saw any on the dives (well, no fish attacked me anyway), but we were told this at the start of every dive.

Regarding sea snakes...
Swam with so many in Okinawa, lost count. Don't know if they are the same variety as in Thailand, but they were rather docile and seldom if ever showed any interest in divers even at fairy close range. Once in a while one would lazily follow you for a while, but quickly lose interest.

I'd heard that one common way to get bit was snake "stripping". A diver would grab one by the tail, and with the other hand graps and run your hand al the way up to teh snakes mouth, "stripping" all the air out of the animal. They immediately hae to surface for air, and apparently come back for the diver with a vengeance. These Darwin award candidates are likely the one who would be cow tipping or something of the like back home.

Cone shells are in Okinawa in mass numbers as well. The geography shell is the most deadly, but there is a whole family. The shape is what to watch for. Because of this, and the urchins and snakes and crown of thorns, it was not a place we could let the kids explore tide pools. As alluded to above, lots of stories of shell collectors who unwittingly put a live cone shell in their bag, only to be stung later.

JAG

Sea snakes aren't dangerous unless you have a bit of exposed flesh (a fingertip!) they can grip with their little mouths. However, just leave them alone, don't play with them and let them go their own way.

Cherrie

I agree with Jagfish about the seasnakes. I think they are really nearsighted, because I've seen them on more than one occasion, bump into rocks and coral as if they were blind. I also think it is one of those cases where they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Jagfish and I spooked one when we were checking out a huge clam on accident and it darted out right next to my face. It swam as fast as it could in the opposite direction.

All the scorpion fish that I have come across usually hold their ground and won't swim off. I don't know if this is part of their camoflage or if they know they can mess you up with their venom.

In a completely none dive related incident (selling aquarium fish in high school) I have been stung by a lionfish. The pain is like lighting yourself on fire. I have a heathly respect for these creatures and give them a wide berth.

Chris

Box Jelly Fish or sea wasps can be found in Northern Palawan, in Busuanga, also known as the Calamian Group of islands in the Philippines.

I was told there are certain seasons where those seas are swarming, but other seasons they're just not there. There have been many reported painful deaths, so before you book a dive holiday there, please email the local dive shops to check if the water's ok. Pantyhose on exposed skin is supposed to be a good Aussie lifeguard defense against a sea wasp sting but not when the Busuanga seas are full of them.

The Philippines also has poisonous cone shells, sea urchins, blue-ringed octopus, sea snakes, fire coral and crown of thorns, so it makes sense to walk around with thick slippers if on the beach and not poke, annoy or eat any sea creatures you don't really know, nor annoy those you do know.

Animals will retaliate if bothered or cornered. Some tips to make your diving experience in the Philippines more enjoyable.

Cherrie

durian:
By the way I also heard of an incident in Pattaya, Thailand where a DM was doing a wreck dive and was badly stung by a Portugese Man-O-War. They got him back to the boat and ran out of vinegar so they used urine to relieve him of his agony.

I had been stung blue (or something) jellyfish and I felt my lung stuck, one by one gasp. I felt pain at my hands and legs where the tentacles were sticked.
My advice is please use skinsuit/wetsuit and gloves when you encounter the waters and ask your local guide if there is seasonality of any danger creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom