Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 7000+

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking about aircraft maintenance schedules and service life, I'm curious how many hours bottom time your most durable dive computer has operated without failure. (provided regular maintenance was kept up: rinse, batteries, orings, lube.)

My personal best has surprisingly been the liquidvision x1. Around 1,300 hours without ANY maintenance needed plus whatever bottom time the previous owner put on it.

Regards,
Cameron

I have/have had a few computers...

Cochran Comander Air - bricked when the battery was taken out for a long (8-year) surface interval. Up to that point, it was fine after many years of use.
Cochran EMC-20h - got as a replacement for the above (very favorable trade in of dead device) going strong for the last 5? years.
Shearwater Petrel - Died unexpectedly for no known reason within 2 years and 40+/- dives.
Shearwater Petrel - Replacement from SW for above unit with less than 6 dives on it.
Oceanic Veo 180nX - got it with a box of stuff I purchased on the used market. Running fine....

I've never had to "Service" a PDC...... Change batteries as needed, and that is all.....

I have owned 6 computers and a bottom timer in my life in my life.
1. The Suunto I bought in the last millennium worked fine for many years. I replaced it with a Shearwater a number of years ago and sold it to a friend who later sold it to someone else. As far as I know it is still working.
2. I bought a Uwatec (can't remember the model) to be a backup to the Suunto--got a good Key man discount. The battery kept dying. I shoved it in a drawer and forgot I had it for years. I later tried to see if it could be fixed so I could sell it, and I learned it had been recalled. If I had turned it in during the recall period, I could have gotten a new computer, but no one told me about the recall. I tossed it.
3. I bought a Uwatec bottom timer during my no-computer-for-tech-diving period. I used it until the battery died. (It can't be replaced.)
4. The first time I needed a multi-gas computer, I bought a used Nitek HE on eBay. It worked fine until the battery died. I stuffed it away for a while and then gave it to someone else who had the battery replaced. As far as I know it works.
5. I bought a Shearwater Predator which worked fine until I sold it to someone else and bought a Petrel.
6. I still use the Petrel, and have only had to change the batteries.
7. I own a Perdix, and have only had to change the batteries. (Yes, I use two computers.)

Quick summary: the only computer I have ever had fail was the Uwatec, and I can't remember the name of the model.

Never had a DC fail, this includes a Suunto Zoop, D9, Shearwater Predator, Petrel and Scubapro Digital 330

Back
Top Bottom