Mosquitos on Liveaboard in Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going on Pindito next month (February) to Raja Ampat.

Wondering what experience everybody has had out there with mosquitos at different times of year.

When I went before (May) there weren't any mosquitos out and about (that we noticed anyway).

Cheers.
Susan

I'm assuming that you're concerned about Malaria. So I'll start with a disclaimer: I have no medical background and no claimed expertise about mosquito habits.

That said, I don't think that you need to be overly concerned. Since you're going on a liveaboard, I doubt you'll have any trouble.

When I was there (Shakti, December '08) I had no problems with mosquitoes at all.

I don't think mosquitoes venture out to sea (not even shallow anchorage areas). I don't know if it is the breeze or cooler air over the water that keeps them away, but I've never seen any on the boat.

You might run into mosquitoes in the Sorong Airport or if you spend any time on land. Just make sure to cover your exposed skin with repellent during those limited exposure times.

I was always told that malaria carrying mosquitoes are only active from dawn to dask - a time when you are most likely to be on board your boat. (Dengue fever carrying mosquitoes bite during the day - but they are more common in urban area than in rural areas)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
You might run into mosquitoes in the Sorong Airport or if you spend any time on land. Just make sure to cover your exposed skin with repellent during those limited exposure times.

I doubt that a mosquito could withstand the cigarette smoke in the Sorong airport ...:wink:

I've been on at least 8 liveaboards around the world at different times of the year and I've never seen or heard of a single bite. Mosquitos don't go to sea. Enjoy your trip. Raja Ampat is the best I've ever done.

Same here - no mosquitos on any liveaboard trip anywhere. Lots and lots on land in Monado not so many in Sorong December 08.

How does a Taxgeek get that much time off in February?

what everybody else said about mosquitos on the boat. Even though we were anchored close, we never noticed any.

I did get two bites in Sorong, at the hotel, at night. They don't have screens on the windows in the hallway and before I realized it I let a couple into my room. Killed #1 but #2 got me later that night...no malaria so far...

And please take this in the light hearted manner I mean it but from my experience, if the French are saying there's a lot of cigarette smoke, there's some serious smoke. :)

And the mosquitos probably drown in sweat on the Westerners at the airport. They can't get to the locals skin through all the coats and sweaters.

Back
Top Bottom