Mosqito vs. Gecko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susie

Reaction score
I want a dive watch computer and was considering the Mosquito until I saw Suunto has a new Gecko. Does anyone have a recommendation on the Gecko?

The Gekko is an entry level basic nitrox computer from Suunto and looks very similiar to the vyper but has quite a few less features than the mosquito although both share the same RGBM Decompression model.

Suunto Spec chart.pdf

Which one is best for you depends on your diving styles and needs.Here are a few main points of comparison:

-Gekko is less expensive so less features.

-Gekko has bigger buttons and a bigger display than the mosquito.

- Gekko does not have gauge mode and is not downloadable to your PC.

-Gekko has a glow in the dark type display not a light.

-Sampling rate on the gekko is set at 30 seconds while the mosquito can be changed to as little as 2 seconds.

Bottom line...If you want a simple easy to use nitrox computer and probably won't use a lot of features mentioned than the gekko is a good choice.

If you want a smaller more fully featured nitrox computer get the Mosquito or consider the Vyper

Hi Susie - I'm a relatively new diver and recently bought the Mosquito as my first dive computer. So far so good. I can't tell you anything about the Gekko, but I've been really pleased with the Mosquito. It has been very easy to use, under and above water, and I've had no problems with the buttons or display (including in cold water with gloves.) My take is this: I'd rather get a computer somewhat better than I need right now because I figure I'll "grow into it" in the next couple of years. You don't want a computer that's sufficient for now but that you soon find falls short because - just a year or two later - you've become a better diver and grown out of it.

I don't suggest you buy anything top-of-the-line. I do suggest you get a computer that's slightly better than you are right now. For me, the Mosquito is so far proving to be just that. I've not used all it's functions/features yet, but I'm beginning to see how I might soon use many of them.

Whatever you choose, it's becoming more and more clear to me the more I talk to experienced divers that it's hard to go wrong with a Suunto.

Dive Source once bubbled...
- Gekko does not have gauge mode and is not downloadable to your PC.
The Mosquito doesn't have a gauge mode either. It has a FREEdiving mode and goes into an error state if submerged in FREE mode for more than 6 minutes. Others on the board have said that you can treat FREE mode as a gauge if you don't care that the error mode prevents use as a NDL computer for at least 48 hrs. I've not tried to do this since it's my primary computer.
Dive Source once bubbled...
-Sampling rate on the gekko is set at 30 seconds while the mosquito can be changed to as little as 2 seconds.
The sampling rate on the Mosquito is fixed. For AIR and EAN dive modes, the rate is 20s and for FREE mode it is 2s. It keeps 36hrs of dive data or 3h36m of FREE data (or something in between if you're doing both.

-Rob

Hi Susie,

I have a Mosquito and my husband, David, has a Vyper. However, before he purchased the Vyper he had a Gekko on trial for about 7 dives. The Gekko has about the same functions as the Mosquito, and we have found no difference between them while diving. You can also dive nitrox with the Gekko up to EAN40. David decided against the Gekko in the end because it did not have the downloading option, which is nice to analyze the profiles and improve on the planning of future dives. The profile from the Gekko can be downloaded by Suunto in case of an accident analysis, but not by the user. The dive shop we bought the equipment from explained that they have Gekkos in their rentals because they get software from Suunto that allows them to reset the computer after every dive, which allows different divers to rent the same computer and perform calculations without the previous diving history, like earlier dives in the day. The Gekko seems to be a very useful option for diveshops, and also if you do not want/need to analyze your profiles in detail. You can always play the numbers on screen and copy them into a spreadsheet, of course, but this is a pain in the neck, if you ask me -- and I speak from experience, since I still do not have the dowloading unit for the Mosquito. The Vyper also has a function that neither the Gekko nor the Mosquito have, namely the simulator, rather than just the planner. We have not yet played with this option, though, so I cannot give you much feedback on it.

Good luck on your purchase,

-- Itziar

I have the Mosquito and it is great. But I prefer the Gekko screen size and backlit screen. I don't do downloading or simulations and prefer simplicity. The Mosquito will become my backup computer when I upgrade to hoseless.

If you are looking for a "dive watch computer' then the Mosquito not the Gekko fits the bill. During your dive holiday you can wear your mosquito all the time, it is after all a watch sized computer.

The Gekko as stated earlier is the size of the Vyper so a but ungainly to wear out and about.

rab is right in his correction on sampling. This only effects the downloaded profile, giving you depth info in 20 second increments.

I've done over 275 dives (instructor on St. Thomas) in the last 6 months on my mosquito and love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom