Mortgage Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She's still looking for a job. Finally got called for an interview yesterday but so far nothing's happened. Small town, not may jobs. High unemployment, even tougher for a female with no skills.

community college starts in about a month, I'd like her to have something going by then. I'll pay for school but her spending money is up to her.

I don't expect to pay this house off though. We don't like it very much & it would take me about 7 years, I think. I'm expecting to stay in it for 2 to 3 years, then finding a house we do like & moving. That house I will tackle paying off as quickly as possible, but in general without other debts, taking a 15 year note with a large down payment, it shouldn't take more than about 7 years to pay off & be able to walk on grass that i actually own, bare footed :wink:

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread. The first thing though, is to get a budget and stick to it. Ok, I am preaching to myself. A budget is a good thing, I know, but the thought of figuring one out and keeping to it is the part that is the fear!:shock: What is that old saying about the fear of the unknown is greater than any discomfort now?

Jenny--you are right, get a budget and stick to it! Then budget as much money as you can towards getting rid of debts!

Actually, I believe a good plan is to get a budget, preferably something that is all-cash, so you can see where everything goes and FEEL the money slipping out of your fingers :) (easy to track credit purchases, harder to limit) Use envelopes! Beginning of week/month/whatever, put in your budgeted amount. When it is gone, it is gone. If it's left over, either put some away in a "my special reward spending cash" envelope, or pay off debts! (perhaps split it up?) Make sure you budget money for an emergency fund. Once you have about two months salary in the emergency fund, start paying off debts as ridiculously fast as you can!

Goals:
-set a limit by putting only so much cash in each envelope, when it's gone, it's gone. Any money you spend under budget either keep as a reward for spending cash, or put towards debts, etc. Come up with a plan for it.
-emergency fund. 2 months salary minimum, when you can, bump that up a little. This is saved money that is very very easy to get at. Maybe put it inthe bank, but you want it liquid!
-pay off debts!
-invest 11 percent. If you invest 11 percent of your income, statistics say you will be rich one day. Seriously, the dividing line between millionaires and wannabees is about 11 percent. Save more if you can, save less never! 11 percent. 11 percent. Stocks, bonds, IRA's, T-bills, whatever, but invest it! Groups like Vangaurd make it easy, just write them a check every month and they invest it in many places for you. Don't only invest in one thing--"divide your investments unto seven, even unto eight, for who knows what tragedy may befall the land?" -Solomon. Invest some in foreign currency, some in stocks, some in bonds. If stocks go up, bonds fall. If bonds go up, stocks fall. Invest a set percentage in each. When stocks go up (example), then you make money, and now you have more money in S than B, consequently, a higher percentage of your savings in S than in B. Use that extra percentage to buy B, becuase they will be cheaper, and then will appreciate. Then reverse :) simple concept that no one understands. 11 percent!!!!!!!!

Catherine, I really wish you wouldn't change your avatar so often. On one hand, your pictures are beautiful but on the other hand I never know who the new picture is! :) Guessing you are over the flu which I used as an oppurtunity to rant about my own family's past illness, and glad for it. I wouldn't wish a stomach flu on anyone, not even Bin Laden! (I'll wish many other things for him but never the stomach flu!) The only thing worse than a stomach flu is someone who retires with debts whose never saved in his life and has no emergency fund and his budget begins with V and ends with A. :wink:

JahJahwarrior:
Jenny--you are right, get a budget and stick to it! Then budget as much money as you can towards getting rid of debts!
Debt is evil and exists only to screw over the people who can least afford it.

Once you're heavily in debt (especially credit card debt), you have essentially become a voluntary slave. The bank now gets 15%-25% of your take-home just for interest.

Do whatever it takes to pay off all your debts, even if that means getting a second job or eating beans, rice and PBJ sandwiches for a couple of years. When you're done, you'll be happier than you ever imagined possible, since your life will be yours again.

I think credit cards should be issued like they were in the 60's and early 70's. Very carefully, and only to people who could pay them off with no problem. Issuing them to people with no free cash is absolutely the same as offering crack to a school kid.

As an alternative, there should be an easy, cheap "lite", no-fault bankruptcy procedure, so people can simply walk away from Credit Card debt that was incurred when the bank had no business loaning them money. That would tighten the CC market up in a hurry.

I paid off every nickle of my debt about a decade ago and will never go back. Now the CC company works for me. I get $800 back in free travel every year and don't give them a dime in interest or fees.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom