Morrison Trip, 02/24, All are welcome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FL waterways belong to the public, they can't keep you in or out. There used to be public access via land to Cypress and it was run privately like Vortex, but the land is now owned by water bottling company. So there is no longer land access. By law, you could take a boat up the Sante Fe and dive Ginnie for free as long as you don't dock on the land owned by Ginnie.

Take the canoe and beach it near the berm, which is well within the flood plain, gear up and hop in - its a great dive.

Everything is pretty straight forward once you know what to look for. Our info was vague at best a group of us went looking for it for the first time, took like 14 hours and ended up only diving for 30 min or so due to time constraints. We started at a boat launch farther downstream, got lost several times, dove another, smaller spring thinking it might be Cypress - ended up being Becton - which is small and silty. Finally found it and got a quick dive in before hauling tail back to our uber far away boatlaunch.

Sounds great. Hopefully I can talk my dive buddy into heading over there. I really dont want 3 days of Vortex. Especially with a place that looks this nice just down the road. Sounds foolproof. Hopefully I wont prove that wrong!

3 Days?

Dive Vortex for one day, Morrison for one day, then Cypress...

Vortex isn't worth 3 days unless you are doing OW certs.

The cavern at Morrison will be pristine, even if the rest of the basin is not, the flow takes care of that.

I am going with my instructor on Sat and Sun, so I am stuck at her mercy on the Vortex dives those days. We are driving down from TN early on Friday to get in some diving that isnt there. I gotta do the open water section of my rescue diver, otherwise Id be trying to get a group to go dive the O.

Matt, is Cypress accessable via motor boat? I have a small bass boat that I could take out there rather than canoe if so... Please advise!

Also, if it is accessible by motor boat, how hard would it be to get back in it? Would we be able to go to shore and just hop in? I've never been to Cypress so I don't know how the banks are configured.

Do you carry a dive flag when your there?

You'll want to canoe it a few times in order to get aquainted with where the submerged trees are in the Creek. Being lazy can cost you expensive props, if you don't get to know the creek first. I don't know how hard it is to get back on your boat, its your boat :p There is a 'beach' that you could get on.

Its law to carry a dive flag when diving out there.

At times, water levels are too low for most motor boats, I've even had to drag my 10' inflatable halfway up the run once.

Hmm... I may end up at the springs this weekend. I've got an '07 pass to Vortemort, and I might have my new BP/W and Turtles in by Friday evening....

I'm almost tempted to bring out the Bayou Marshmallow again for another run at Cypress. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom