Morrison Springs dive report 5/28/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Because the weatherman was not sure what would be happening this afternoon, Gulf-Gulper and I decided to do an early run to Morrison and if things went well we would hit the Destin jetties for high tide in the afternoon. We arrived at Vortex Spring just after 7:00 AM to rent some tanks. There were tons of campers and many were up stirring around already. We got the tanks and were at Morrison by 7:30. Two divers were there and several boat trailers. We were the second pair in the water and viz was better than last week but not the clearest I've seen. We could slightly make out the close end of the log from the platform. We met the other two divers as they exited the basin, leaving us to swim by ourselves. The flow seemed a little stronger today but nothing too awful. Gulf-Gulper got his first chance to go just inside the entrance of the cavern and get a good look. We headed back to change tanks and several more divers had shown up. The whole day there were no classes at the spring and lots less people in general than I expected. We geared up for a second dive of exploring the shallows. Lots of fish showed up on this dive. The water may have cleared a little and the angle of the sun was higher so viz improved slightly. We cleaned up and took the gear back to Vortex. By the time we got there, a line of cars had formed to get in the gate. There were people everywhere, above and below the water. On the way out there was an even longer line of cars trying to pay to get in. With that all behind us, we ate lunch and ran some errands. By the time we got back to the MidBay bridge, it was 3:30 (an hour past high tide) and traffic was backed up White Point road. Needless to say we gave up our plan to dive the jetties - HWY 98 would have been packed. It would have taken us until high tide tomorrow just to get to the jetties. I guess two dives are better than none! Here are some pics:

Thanks for the pics SY. Looks like a great day. I like the shot of the cavern mouth with the ISO400. It came out pretty decent, great job.

Matt

Great pictures....glad you were able to get in the first two dives!

AZdiver

Gulf-Gulper = Larry or his son?

Great pics, Morrison looks to be staying pretty clear, I still wish it'd get 'gin' clear again :)

Nice job. We went today, viz was much the same, Not so many divers, but lots of swimmers mucking it up. Not the clearest Ive seen, but still nice.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Gulf-Gulper = Larry or his son?
It's Larry - Tyler may go with us and get in his first dive since training if we get to dive the jetties this afternoon. The sun is shining now but who knows at 4 PM when High tide hits.

Cool, just curious, I hadn't realized he was registered here.

2:30PM over here, its just starting to get cloudy again, but still bright enough for a dive - doesnt' look like any rain in the immediate future - hopefully you guys get to jump in the water.

The surf is pumping over here, the way the jetties are situated in Orange Beach, doesn't really allow for protection against current or surf. Ah well. Looking forward to diving your grounds again next weekend.

More fun pics, looks like a good time, cept for dodging the locals on site and the car trouble?

Icecream vendor at Vortex? I'm jealous, no such thing weekend before last!

SuPrBuGmAn:
...Icecream vendor at Vortex? I'm jealous, no such thing weekend before last!
If it's the same folks as last year they cook a mean burger too. They sure do taste good when you get out of the chilly water.

jviehe,
It looks like you guys couldn't resist doing flips in the basin - I've got to confess that when there are not many divers in the basin I go nuts and swim in all directions. I have a great time knowing the place is large enough not to bump into anything, but like the George of the Jungle song says "Watch out for that TREE!".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom