Morrison Springs Christmas Eve Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Headed to Morrison Springs this afternoon to meet up with Darcy and Scott for a dive while they were in town from North AL. It was a really overcast day today, light showers off and on throughout the drive as well as throughout the dive. Water levels were up to 5.2'ish and air temps in the low 50sF. Spring water temperature was the typical 68F. Despite the rising water levels, the water clarity still provided a wonderfull dive with an easy 60-80' of visibility.

I got onsite just as Pufferfish was exitting the water. I'm glad he was there, because I had forgotten my wetsuit. He had extras and I was very gratefull despite the slightly ill fit! Thanks! I had dinner obligations with the family that night, so only had time for a single dive. Darcy, Scott, and I hit the water and checked our bouyancy(I'm not used to so much neoprene and Scott was adjusting to rental gear) at the platform. After everyone was squared away we hit the cavern to dive a our 1st 1/3rd a tank. The flow seemed down and entry was easy. The typical fauna could be found including rock bass, catfish, and the freshwater eels. Afterwards, we goofed around a bit in the main part of the basin and the cypress tree crossing over the dropoff. I swam up the run a bit until I found tannic water. Found a small bowfin burrowed into the silt with just its head exposed - also a school of mullet. The typical bream and bass could be found everywhere. All in all, we had a great dive. Max depth of 92' for 56 minutes. I never felt warmer in the 5mm semidry I was wearing - kinda nice. I don't think I'll be ditching my 3mm anytime soon as entry and exit from it is much easier! :D

Probably diving it again on Tuesday - unless the gulf calms down a bit.

Morrison560.jpg

Morrison564.jpg

Morrison568.jpg

Great report bugman, nice pics also. Do you have any pics from underwater morrison?

Not from today, I flooded my PnS a few months ago and only have a couple of dSLRs left :p I'll be housing one of the dSLRs when I get my taxes squared away.

Look around here http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album01 and you'll find some of my older Morrison Springs pictures from underwater.

Here is one of my favorites.

CavEntr25_001.jpg

You have some great pics in there. I need to finally get around to getting a camera

Its fun, but they are expensive as well... I was never really interested in photography until I started diving... Bought a prosumer PnS UW rig and got hooked, bought a dSLR for surface shooting, then another dSLR, lots of lenses, flooded two PnS's, and now I have this bright idea to house one of the dSLRs... ugh.

I need to find cheaper hobbies... like the harmonica or somethin...

Nice report man, glad vis was ok with the water that high. My wife got a new PnS for x-mas and I got a housing so look for some GL pics next season.

Glad the dive worked out good. I was hoping to be able to make it, but have family in town for the hollidays, you know how it goes.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom