Morrison Springs 6-3-6 & 6-5-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with photohikedive, MDB, and baydive20 at Morrison Springs, bright and early at 8AM(ok, more like 8:15 and it was cloudy out :coffee: ). There were already a few classes onsite and one group of divers in the water. A local promptly stuck his truck a bit too deep in the water while launching his boat and got stuck in the middle of the beach entry. Our early start was nixed after helping local dude getting his bogged down truck out of our way.

PHD, baydive20, and I(MDB stayed on land due to a headache or something) headed into the water and enjoyed excellent visibility(100'ish). Water levels were low so alot of the outskirts of the basin weren't accessible. We jumped down into the cavern and burned a third our tanks down before hanging around the tree crossing the basin for the remainder of our 36 minute dive. I hit a max depth of 89'.

PHD and MDB headed out after the first dive and baydive20 and I decided to go for a second. Several classes were already in the water after our nearly hour long SI. Visibility was reduced to 20-40' depending on where in the basin you were at. The cavern was clear as always and, like the first dive, we burned our first 1/3rd of gas in the hole. We ascended back to OW and headed down the spring run. Our 200ish meter exploration of the spring run brought insight alot of life that wasn't present in the busy basin. There were a few large schools of striped bass(some as large as 25lbs), pike, carp, and a few dead gar littered the bottom. It was a great dive lasting 69 minutes, leaving me a bit chilly. I hit a max depth of 88'.

It was a great set of dives and I think everyone had a blast. Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album128

I spent Sat night, Sunday, and Monday morning at a beach house in Port St Joe, FL. I had never been there and it was nice to see the beach from the road without a ton of highrises blocking the view. I ended up snorkeling at St Joseph Peninsula State Park and saw lots of little fish, crabs, urchins, ect in the grass flats. Good times :D

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album129

I headed back to Morrison Springs today(6-5-6) and met up with Darcy for another dive. There was a small group of divers in the water(no students) and lots of locals on the beach. The water looked great and we had a good dive in the cavern and basin. Visibility was around 80' and our dive lasted 44min with a max depth of 89'. There were two boats that stuck inside the basin fishing. Afterwards, we enjoyed a late lunch at Sally's.

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album130

Busy weekend, but lots of fun, work is gonna suck tomorrow :/

work? what is tha......... oh, I guess I can't say that anymore. Yes the dive was great. MDB woke up with a headache that morning and was hoping the meds would clear it before we got to the site. Then we hoped it would clear for the second dive, and it became apparant that wasn't going to happen.

I floundered around on the bottom of the cave while trying to get my camera to work, all in vain, because I thought I could squeeze one more dive out of that set of batteries. Even though I had just bought two sets on the way to the site. SBM and baydive were nice and didn't beat me for this. So, I can't wait to dive with them again :D

Nice report. I noticed the river level was the lowest Ive ever seen it, almost drying up.

Most of the run was still 5-10'+ deep, so we didn't have any problems exploring them. According to the NOAA website, we were almost at the 5th lowest record low, but it should be rising again shortly.

photohikedive:
work? what is tha......... oh, I guess I can't say that anymore. Yes the dive was great. MDB woke up with a headache that morning and was hoping the meds would clear it before we got to the site. Then we hoped it would clear for the second dive, and it became apparant that wasn't going to happen.

I floundered around on the bottom of the cave while trying to get my camera to work, all in vain, because I thought I could squeeze one more dive out of that set of batteries. Even though I had just bought two sets on the way to the site. SBM and baydive were nice and didn't beat me for this. So, I can't wait to dive with them again :D

We should have dove the spring run on the 1st dive as well, you missed alot of big fish!

How'd the pics you did get come out? You gonna share? :14:

See ya next time around, probably in a few weeks, less you're willing to travel my way.

I didn't take any. It was rather uneventful. Man in a two wheel drive truck, drives it back too far. Classic story of the "ain't got no posi" blues. Passenger rear tire spun in the sand, and wasn't moving. Someone borrowed (no names here) a tow strap from an unattended truck, and they were able to pull the truck out without incident.

Heading back over there today to see about releaving the stress of another hard day at work. This stuff is killing me :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
How'd the pics you did get come out? You gonna share? :14:

See ya next time around, probably in a few weeks, less you're willing to travel my way.

well, I would love to, but for some reason, I can't seem to post them here. I haven't yet set up a seperate photo account to link to yet either.

As far as traveling your way.... it is looking tempting. I do have to take my mother to Pensacola soon to do some overnight hospital stuff. I might see about bringing my dive gear with me.

As for the truck getting stuck....

Sea yoda and I were there one day and this guy backs his boat in with a truck that had to have mud tires on it about 4 feet tall. I told him it looked like those tires were big enough that it would float the truck and he didn't need the boat. He could just fish out of the back of the truck.

He turned and looked at his truck.... I know he was most likely prob thinking about it going "hmmmmm... I wonder if I got some bigger mud tires would that work?"

mike_s:
He turned and looked at his truck.... I know he was most likely prob thinking about it going "hmmmmm... I wonder if I got some bigger mud tires would that work?"

we don't need a reef in the spring, tyvm

photohikedive:
As far as traveling your way.... it is looking tempting. I do have to take my mother to Pensacola soon to do some overnight hospital stuff. I might see about bringing my dive gear with me.

Sounds good, I just got a line on another beachable shipwreck. A shrimpboat this time, may dive it this evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom