Morrison Springs - 19 Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Grumby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
An early start this morning paid off in spades! I dove todays first dive with a new dive buddy that has been "dry" for a bit and was itching to get back in the water. Arriving at the springs at 0725, we were greeted with an incredible view of the basin. There was no one else on site, the sun was shining directly on the dive platform, and the water was gin clear and smooth as glass. The fog was drifting from the water all the way around the basin and in the creek run, and for a minute, I stopped in my tracks and just admired the beauty of it all. It was a very serene moment and I wish I could have captured it on film.

We suited up and did a pre-dive brief of the layout and what we should expect once we were down. After that, we were off to the races. Being first in the water and being able to see all the way across the basin was a treat, and it continued throughout the whole dive, no silt, no classes, just great vis and my dive buddy. We dropped down into the cavern and had to do some equipment adjustments, but we were soon exploring every nook and cranny in sight. The gnome is still intact, although he has swam (swum?) to a different perch than the the last time I saw him. I also noticed a very brightly colored (painted) fish named Carlos sitting on a perch to the right as you enter the cavern. I am guessing he is new, but I could have missed him in the past.

The biggest thing I noted this time is the loctaion of the main outflow. It has either shifted (which I doubt) or has REALLY opened up over the past couple of weeks. We followed the main rope down to the bottom of the cavern and there, off to the left, is a couple of holes large enough to swim into! The flow coming from them was enough to force me back, until I grabbed a handful of rock. Not diving Morrison enough to have a history on it, I don't know if this is normal or something to be excited about. I am going to opt to be excited. We explored around for a while and played with the eels that were burrowing the sand. Soon, my dive buddy turned the dive, and we headed back up to the log for a brief stop, watching our bubbles escape the lip of the cavern entrance for a good 10 minutes after we had. We then headed for land and an after-dive discussion about how cool it was to be diving. He had a prior engagement and had to bail, so I was left to my own devices for awhile. By this time, there were probably 5 or 6 other cars on site, so I waited for a few more to show up. The world famous Scubaholics were scheduled to be diving today, and I was hoping to buddy up with them for a second dive.

Sure enough, they showed up. I got to meet quite a few of them during my SI, and found one that didn't have a set dive plan (drills, class, family buddy) and was looking to get in the water! Will and I suited up and got ready to dive. By this time, there were two classes, a bass boat, 6 "colorful locals", and a dog in the water. Needless to say, the viz was much worse than my first dive. No matter, we were headed back to the cavern, where the outflow is much greater than any poor finning technique! Once again, we toured the cavern looking at the catfish and eel. I noticed that there was a third type of fish there today, but will have to check on the species. (I am far from a "fish expert"). After waiting in line to exit the cavern (yes, a line. A short one, but a line none-the-less!) we did a quick once around the basin before exiting the water. A brief discussion about the larger outflow and what may have been a spot where the ceiling has come down, and it was time to bid everyone farewell. The parking area was completely full now, there were 6 dogs, 3 classes and a pair of 4x4's having a stereo war (Lynard Skynard VS 99 Rock).

I changed and hopped in the car and headed for (wait for it .....) SALLYS! Yep, I had to debunk the rumor that Sallys Sour Cream and Chive Fries were off the menu. Good news folks, it IS just a vicious rumor after all. This was easy to disprove, since I started the rumor, but it was a great excuse to go there, and since I was there, it would be rude not to order ......

An awesome day of diving with a great pair of friends (old and new). On the drive home, I had to take a minute to reflect on just how great it is to live in NW Florida.

Was the flow coming from a hole that looks like this?

923hole.jpg

Is this your new fish?

crappie.jpg

How about these for a misty morning?

m1-2.jpg

m2-1.jpg

m3.jpg

Capt Grumby:
On the drive home, I had to take a minute to reflect on just how great it is to live in NW Florida.

Great report. My first post-certification dive was done at Morrison and it was a morning much like you describe. This makes me ready to head back to Morrison. So Yoda, let's make a trip soon....I hear Sally's calling us!!!

Great report Grumby, people always think I'm crazy for wanting early morning meet times at Morrison, but the view is just so much better when you are the first in the water.

Wanna dive there next Saturday? :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great report Grumby, people always think I'm crazy for wanting early morning meet times at Morrison, but the view is just so much better when you are the first in the water.

I am game for Saturday....I am going to arrange things so I can get away to dive....this work is killing me. If you say you can go I will meet you there early if you want....I agree with you about beating the crowds. To say nothing about being able to hit Sally's for lunch. Let me know....

GLENFWB:
I am game for Saturday....I am going to arrange things so I can get away to dive....this work is killing me. If you say you can go I will meet you there early if you want....I agree with you about beating the crowds. To say nothing about being able to hit Sally's for lunch. Let me know....
I just replied to your PM. I can do Morrison if that's where everyone wants to go.

The flow has enlarged the holes so that there isn't a divider in the middle and it seems to be wider on each side as well.
923hole.jpg

Is this your new fish?

Yep, thats the one. There were quite a few of those guys down there. However, there were still more catfish, and even more eels.
crappie.jpg

How about these for a misty morning?

This is the one! I was hoping you had some good shots that would represent well. Do you mind if I copy this one for my desktop? That is the EXACT view I was greeted with yesterday morning.
m3.jpg

SuPrBuGmAn:

I have to check my schedule. I think my daughter has some prior commitments that require my presence. I will try to meet you guys there though.

GLENFWB:

I'm definately game, 2-3 dives? :D

Sounds good, what is our meeting time? How about it Yoda...is your schedule going to allow you to be there???

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm definately game, 2-3 dives? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom