Morrison Spring dive report 5/21/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Larry and I got to the spring at about 7 AM to find one boat trailer in the parking area. We geared up and hit the water by about 7:30 AM. The water was the usual 68 degrees and from the beach appeared clear (although not radiant blue). As we put our heads under the water we saw a lot lower viz than expected. There were no other divers there but we could not see the log at all from the platform. The viz was 30' - 40' but had lots of particle matter and haze. The river level is low so the only reason for the poor viz that I can think of is that there must have been runoff from the storms last night. I tried, unsuccessfully, to get some pictures of the opening to the cavern from the basin. Larry and I went down the funnel and peered into the cavern. The flow was strong but not like Cypress. There was lots of junk blowing out of the hole as we were laying on the bottom of the funnel. We went back up into the basin and back to the entry point. It was a good dive but just not what I had anticipated. Between dives a guy was trying to put his boat in the water - it was the guy who used to run the shop there (Dennis). I didn't think I'd ever see him again after his boss sold the property to the State. As we were changing tanks, several other divers showed up. We decided to get in the water quick to avoid the rush. Larry and I played in the shallows on the second dive - saw crappie, bass, bluegill, and a snake. While we were in the shallows several of the other divers went in the basin and it looked like a chimney with smoke blowing out the top. Viz went from poor to awful. We grabbed the flag off the log where I had placed it and circled counter clockwise around the shallows back to the exit. There was a layer of silt just under the surface as we hit the beach area. The good news of the trip is that I saw three boats while I was there and they all were at idle speed while near the divers!!!! Here are some pics from the dive:

Man, I can't wait until I can dive again to head to this place. Those pics are BEAUTIFUL, thanks for sharing.

Nice Pics SY. Thanks for the reports as well. It doesn't look like the viz is too bad (I'm about to go jump in 10-15' viz). I agree though it wasn't 50-100' like some had commented on earlier in the week. Storms always churn up the viz, even if they are light.

Matt

Great report SY,

I was thinking about heading down to the spring this comming weekend but will probably just go over to one of the Alabama quarries or Lake Jocassee. If the river levels look promising I might just head down to the spring instead.

Jeremy

Nice pictures! I was going to stop there Monday morning on the way to Vortex for a first dive. Never been to either and am bringing the wife and daughter along for some snorkeling.

Great pics SeaYoda, vis improved a bit by Sunday, but it still wasn't 'gin' clear by any means. It did get to 50-60' though. You could see the dive platform from the parking area when I arrived. From the platform you could see to the other side of the tree and up the basin a bit, but you couldn't see all the way to the cypress trees lining the other side. All my pics came out hazy, not sure if it was all the water's fault, or if I need to replace my moisture muncher, or both. Posting a report shortly though.

Flow apparently dropped off quite a bit from last weekend, which could also account for the reduced visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom