Morrison Re-lining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Juno doesnt need a line. Line yourself up with the dead tree west of the picnic table. swim backwards for 200 feet with an eye on the tree, keep looking down till you find the Juno. Worked for me :)

boney:
I know some people on this board have alread dove the Juno... it is a shorter distance and has a hard sand bottom.
But lets work on the Mo for now... it gets much more traffic than the Juno and would be more appreciated there... Again if you need extra bodies to help out just PM me and I will try to be there...

What about getting toilets and sinking them... kinda fitting... then you could tie the line on each handle and if you pull on it all the toilets flush simultaneously.... :wink:

mcrae:
We use surplus steel cable from industrial cranes, we get it for free.
It is typically about 1/2" and lasts about 2-3 years. With the heavy current and boat trafic we need something strong.

The disadvantage is that is rusts and gets hard on gloves.

Good Luck
Gary

Not having a go at you but crane mechanics have this thing about what they call what you and I see as a cable. They prefer it to be called a 'wire rope'
Not a crane mechanic myself but I do have my ticket for them too.

mcrae:
We use surplus steel cable from industrial cranes, we get it for free.
It is typically about 1/2" and lasts about 2-3 years. With the heavy current and boat trafic we need something strong.

The disadvantage is that is rusts and gets hard on gloves.

The major disadvantage is that if someone becomes entangled in it for any reason they are pretty much dead.

Not to mention boats catching achor on it and wreaking complete havoc on the wreck below. The rope needs to have the ability to break away.

1/2 polyester line is fine for the job. Hardly stretches, ties a good knot, can be cut if need be and doesn't rot quickly. I found a source online for 1000' reasonably cheap.

Any ideas where to get the steel beams?

I liked uwhooligan's idea about the plates. Sounds logical, adaptable, and do-able. Instead of the steel cable we could use the poly ropes that d33ps1x mentioned. A lot of good ideas so far... what about natural objects like logs and rocks? Probably would be a pain to get them out there though...

d33ps1x:
1/2 polyester line is fine for the job. Hardly stretches, ties a good knot, can be cut if need be and doesn't rot quickly. I found a source online for 1000' reasonably cheap.

Any ideas where to get the steel beams?

I've got some 3/8" lying around that was used to pull cable (that's tv cable uwhooligan :wink: ) - you can have it. It's probably 500'+.

I can arrange for the scrap steel beams (I work for a steel service centre) - you'd have to pick them up in Milton or more likely the St. Catharines area. Cost would likely be 8 cents/lb.

What about some steel rings - say 5" in diameter, made out of 3/4" rod? wouldn't rub the rope the wrong way... These might be a little more expensive - let me know if you guys are interested and i could look into rings or "u" shapes.

Just got back from diving the Morrisson. The line is pretty bad, very loose at some points and looks like it has been patched up way too many times. The blocks are a mess.

Viz was 5ft or so and temp. was about 36F.

I like the plate and ring idea. Sounds simple and effective.

Wetbehindtheear, is the rope you have polyester or polypropylene? Polyester ropes are usually (any I've ever bought) braided and very nice on the hands. They also SINK. Polypropylene (which is generally just call Poly rope) is what the "yellow" floaty rope is made of. Considering the weedy bottom and silt, I think a floaty rope would be better. The braided type is easier to tie than the 3 strand twist. 3 strand is easier to splice.

not sure which type i have - probably whatever was cheapest & doesn't stretch as much. it's the twisted kind - not braided.

wetbehindtheear:
I've got some 3/8" lying around that was used to pull cable (that's tv cable uwhooligan :wink: ) - you can have it. It's probably 500'+.

I can arrange for the scrap steel beams (I work for a steel service centre) - you'd have to pick them up in Milton or more likely the St. Catharines area. Cost would likely be 8 cents/lb.

What about some steel rings - say 5" in diameter, made out of 3/4" rod? wouldn't rub the rope the wrong way... These might be a little more expensive - let me know if you guys are interested and i could look into rings or "u" shapes.

Sounding great man. If we could get a few volunteers with vehicles to pick up a some a piece to get them up there that would be great. The question is still can we weld and grind sharp edges on the spot to allow for only one transfer to the site.

Sounding great though. About 270 dolllars for 45 75lb units. Any dive shops willing to anti up at bit for steel and fuel?

not a chance that they'll let us on the site to grind - safety issues, etc. unfortunately i don't think they'll deliver if they're selling it at scrap price. surely a bunch of divers could get some air tools to use up at centennial beach just prior to putting them in the water :eyebrow: .

i'll start looking into what sizes they have available (may only be 3'+), and where they're located (milton or st. catharines).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom