Morrison Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Well, it was an interesting day at the new old spring. Baydive20 joined us (well, beat us there, and she planned the dive, but that is just details) at the spring for an afternoon dive. We suited up and hit the water, of course I waited until after the camera was wet, to take a picture.....

Baydive20MDB.jpg

We then decended, ok, they went, I followed......

MDBBaydive20.jpg

baydive20 made her way into the main cavern followed by yours truely. I showed her the new openings being created. (or is it old ones, reopening?)

Opening.jpg

Morrison is being very dynamic lately. There are few places on the floor, that do not bubble up the sand. The old opening at the deepest point of the cave is spewing much more sand. The hill of sand at the outflow side of the opening, seems to be getting bigger. The main rock that we swim around, has a very definate opening all the way under it now. Looking back towards the opening, you can see the new warning sign (Perrone, you don't need to bring one, someone beat you to it).

Openingedit.jpg

At this point, baydive20 and I turned the dive. Unfortunately, my rechargable batteries gave up. We made our way to the "smaller" cave to do our safety stop. I decided to poke my head into the small opening on the left. It keeps getting bigger every dive. This time it was more than open enough for me to enter. Having done it, I need to express how lucky I was. This is not just an extension of the cavern. It stops being a cavern almost immediately because you lose visible daylight.
*WARNING* DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT CAVE TRAINING *

I just went in a small ways, maybe five feet. It silts up easily and there are several side passages to get lost in. Baydive stayed just outside the opening and when she saw my fins dissapear, shined her light in. I kept an eye behind me, to see where daylight stopped being visible, it was almost immediate. The side tunnels are small and silt filled, not interesting enough to make it worth getting lost and dying for. I just hope that we don't lose anyone in this, causing the place to be closed down.

We turned around and explored the upper section of the side cavern. baydive seemed to have found the airpockets interesting. It is always fun to be able to talk, even briefly while "underwater".

We then exited the small cavern, and made another pause at the log where we rejoined MDB. I was able to coax one more shot from the camera before it gave up entirely.

Baydive20.jpg

We then made our way to a food place. We tried the little resturaunt just before the highway, the Red Rooster, or something like that. Food was pretty good. Not quite as homey feeling as Sally's but a nice change. It was another great dive at a "boring" spring. Also it was another great dive with one of the people that I have met thanks to scubaboard. Thank you baydive for joining us, we can't wait to dive with you again.

Thanks for the update PHD. Glad someone got a new sign in place. Is it an NACD or NSS sign?

Ok,

Thanks all I needed to know.

Lessons learned:
1. Cheese is negatively bouyant, at least monterey jack is
2. Redbreast sunfish prefer cheese to bread
3. "Shellcrackers" don't like either
4. Loggerhead musk turtles are afraid of people
5. Everybody thinks it's ok to yank on my fins
6. Several new signals for "I just did something bad"
7. Drinking Yoohoo before a dive makes me burp in my reg
8. Making fun of PHD with baydive20 is fun :evil:

MysteryDiveBuddy:
...8. Making fun of PHD with baydive20 is fun :evil:
I see the boy is being outnumbered - he should have hit the jetties :D.

photohikedive:
Well, it was an interesting day at the new old spring.
Baydive20MDB.jpg

Guess it was an interesting day. How did Gidds' hood get on MDB in this pic? :light:

photohikedive:
it wouldn't have helped. Kch has been known to abuse me some too

Poor PHD is always getting picked on :pftroest: Feel better. It will all be okay, heheheh :wink:

Thanks for the report.

Great report PHD, nice to see that you managed to get wet. The opening under the boulder you have pictured has been there since forever. Word has it, that you can no-mount through it - LOL. There's a pic floating around somewhere(jviehe?) with a sidemounter halfway in it. There used to be a bowling ball jammed pretty far down it that someone had been using to bust through... Its gone now. Check through my gallery and you'll see that vent in several of my past dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom