Morris slave flash - Any info? Cheap 2nd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arenny

Contributor
Reaction score
I just saw this slave flash for $49

Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems like it could be a cheap 2nd strobe!

Thanks!

Specs:

The Morris Underwater Slave Flash fires automatically when your camera flash goes off. Ideal for fill, accent, side or back lighting needs. It’s lightweight and has an easy to aim touch design.
It’s surface GN is 66 at ISO 100, and it’s angle of coverage is 55°. With fresh alkaline batteries it recycles in 6 seconds. The Morris underwater slave flash is rated to depths of 100’. Uses 4-AA alkaline batteries (not included).

Surface GN: 66 (feet) / 20 (meters) ISO 100
Angle of coverage: 55°
Recycle: 6 seconds
Number of flashes: 120 (w/alkaline cells)

This strobe is best used by an U/W diver model using it as a prop. in lighting up an object or scene as if they are shinning a flashlight on it. You still need to find a way to mount it on your camera. Try checking with ebay for some used Ikelite strobes I have dozens of them, from $10-$25-$100.

Dive Safe

I don't know anything about this specific strobe but it is not to be used as a second, full power primary strobe. The only thing I regret selling with my old flm rig was the slave strobe. It was small, and just perfect to help fill in shadows and special lighting effects. I'll probably get another one day. If you want one for an addtional auxillary light source, it should work fine but get your primary strobe first.

I have a DX90 with a tetra so I was just looking for something to "fill" or place a slave behind corals and play with it, this just seemed like an inexpensive way to get another "toy" - like I need to spend more $$$ just can't dish out the $600 for a new slave right now :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom