Thoughts on new Inon S220 versus AOI Q1 RC for Olympus TG-6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginkgo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need a new strobe, for wide angle and macro fill. (I already have a Backscatter MF-2 with snoot.) Backscatter now has the Inon S220 shipping [1], so I'm curious what people think about it. I was otherwise considering the AOI Q1 RC [2].

My thoughts:
I like the AOI's compatibility with Olympus RC TTL, and its 700 lumen modeling light. I especially like its fast recycle time—good for sea lions! (Though my TG-6 has slow autofocus.) But the Inon has 140°×100° beam angle, while the AOI only has 85°x85°. They both have a 22 guide number. The Inon is slightly smaller, slightly lighter (12.3oz versus 19.4oz), slightly more neutral underwater.

The Inon is $450 (including the 1-inch ballhead) plus 4x AA batteries, the AOI is $365 plus 2x 18650 batteries. I already use 21700 and 18650 batteries for my MF-2 strobe and dive light.

What do you think? Is the Inon's wider beam angle worth the extra price and slow recycle time?

[1] Inon S220 S-TTL Underwater Strobe

[2] AOI Q1 RC Ultra Compact Underwater Strobe

how wide are you shooting? You are planning to use w/ the MF2 as a dual strobe?

Backscatter replied with some very helpful details. I will buy the S220 from them.

We have done extensive testing with all of these strobes, so I can certainly help you with this. In short, the AOI Q1 strobe has the same output as the [Backscatter MF-2] Mini Flash. Although they may state different specs, our side-by-side testing with a light meter shows that they have the same output. So I would not consider the AOI Q1 strobe for wide angle. All of our testing is at 1 meter in the air, with an ISO of 100 and a shutter speed of 1/60th sec. Both the Mini Flash and Q1 strobes come in with a guide number of ƒ11 +0.1.

We were just able to test the Inon S220 strobe last week and it is certainly a more powerful strobe. This stobe tested at ƒ16 +0.5. This means that it is roughly 3 times brighter than the Mini Flash and Q1 strobes. An Inon Z330 (or whatever the replacement is) or Sea & Sea YS-D3 will offer 50% more power than this strobe for more working distance.

The main issue is that one stobe is never wide enough for a wide angle scene. You need two strobes to spread the beam out over a wider angle of coverage. You can see more of this in our Strobe Placement Article with example images, linked below.

At the minimum, I would use the Inon S220 and Mini Flash at the same time for better overall coverage.

Backscatter replied with some very helpful details. I will buy the S220 from them.
what they didn't ask was how wide you are going, which does matter.

The smaller sensor on the TG6 helps in that you don't need as powerful a strobe here is a thread regards strobe senor size
If you are going really wide like with a AOI UWL-04 165 degree, you may find that if you desire to have even lighting across the frame, even with the MF-2 and the S220 you may have difficulty at the edges on the side you have the MF-2. That said, i am not at all sure I agree w/ them regards "you must have 2 strobes for wide", if you are doing a coral head, diver, shark and have one strobe with decent beam angle (which the s220 has), you want to be close, closer than you think when you first start doing WA UW you can still light up the subject you want with a single strobe and the rest of the frame (often the blue water, further back reef/sand) is not a focal point of the image. In fact would argue that a single strobe for many shots will make the subject stand out better than even lighting.
The only reason i mention is that you may find that especially with TG6 and wet lenses, that diving the MF-2 on one arm and using for macro stuff, and the s220 on other and uplaying around with just the s220 for wider you will get some great shots. Of course, also play around with dual for wide and see how it does. If you are moderate wide like some of the less expensive wide wet lenses I bet you get great results.
Now, to the last point.. The S220 for TTL only does STTL, not RC as you know. While RC may be slightly better TTL (or at least most say is, I would say "sometimes") . Your MF-2 for TTL only does RC TTL. The S220 doesn't have a TTL slave mode, and the MF-2 has REM but that is designed for 2x MF-2's. You will be shooting manual with a dual strobe setup of a S220 and MF-2 combo. You can play around with them and see if maybe the MF-2 in REM using lightube will give you some type of TTL off the S220, but I suspect all of that will be less reliable . lighttube has to be in right spot, which is why more for macro type deliberate shooting versus wide angle where it can be deliberate but with stuff like divers, sharks, mantas, sealions etc , they are moving and in the case of sea lions moving VERY fast. My gut tells me that with those moving targets trying to ad hoc the two in TTL , even if it works (likely not) will be more frustration that just shooting manual (and most folks as they get more experience will shoot manual more than TTL on wide.., except I LIKE TTL for bigger faster moving stuff because it can really help as even a foot or two closer or further in manual means making manual adjustments on 2x strobes, that takes time. Let TTL do that work and shoot more , which is when fast recycle time rocks. To the recycle time, any strobe at full power takes longer to recycle, and yes, you can use less powerful strobes with smaller sensor camera. But getting a more powerful one the less than full power dumps recycle faster, on the newest strobes almost instant. So, If I was shooting sea lions, which are fast, I want TTL and fast recycle.
If you want RC TTL, the choices are slim right now in more powerful strobes. The YD-D3 Duo is supposed to be out very soon, and is fairly expensive at twice the price of strobes you are looking at basically, plus Sea & Sea strobes have gotten a rep for not being the durability they once were. Marelux has one coming out soon that is looking very interesting.. more expensive and the only thing that bothers me with is the colour temp at 6200 which in clear tropical water is not exciting because of how it will render the blues in background. Other than that seems awesome, and for green water like where you will shoot sea lions, won't be an issue at all. It has RC. More money now.
Honestly, if you are shooting semi wide, you may find that dual MF-2's would work, also allowing you to experiment with dual snooting macro which can create some awesome effects. The TG6 being a macro monster and the MF-2 having RC TTL.. makes a easy transition. IF you end up getting more serious on wide angle, you are likely getting serious with UW photography and will end up upgrading your camera anyhow, forcing a strobe upgrade from the s220 anyhow. Getting another MF-2, you will keep those for macro dual snooting even if you upgrade and then be looking at some GN30-32 strobes then anyhow.
Many of us make mistakes when buying "good enough" strobes, then get into this silly thing and have to upgrade them later. If you think you are really going to like UW photography, get the best strobes you can fit in budget. That is the best value as you get the output on hand that can be really useful and most of us change strobes less frequently than camera bodies and housings. Buy better glass (in UW photography that is lenses and the domes) and better strobes, they last longer in use than bodies that we tend to want to upgrade on a more frequent cycle.

I plan on getting the Backscatter M52 Underwater 120° Wide Angle Lens, so not nearly as wide as a 165° lens. Honestly, wide angle doesn't really compel my interest, except some dives/locations aren't particularly well suited to macro. I am more interested in large animals, than in reefscapes or wreck scenes—so I like your point about single-strobe wide angle. (Perhaps I should think more about getting video lights for my GoPro.)

I did consider more "future-proof" strobes. Thanks for your list of suggestions; I wasn't aware of upcoming strobes beyond the Z330 replacement. I also considered the Scubalamp D-Pro strobe [1], at $760. It should have a lot more power, and uses 18650 batteries so gets fast recycle time. No real or fake TTL.

However, I feel like the S220 is strong enough that it could move with me, at least to a M43 camera setup if not to a full-frame camera. Compared to a more future-proof strobe, I like that it is small and travels easily. Shooting macro with it (e.g., to fill in for the MF-2 strobe), it doesn't compromise too much the ability to fit in small crannies.

I haven't seen many dual-snooted photos. Is this like having one light behind the subject, as a rim light? I don't know that I like these photographs enough, or have enough opportunities to try them.

[1] D-Pro Strobe

I plan on getting the Backscatter M52 Underwater 120° Wide Angle Lens, so not nearly as wide as a 165° lens. Honestly, wide angle doesn't really compel my interest, except some dives/locations aren't particularly well suited to macro. I am more interested in large animals, than in reefscapes or wreck scenes—so I like your point about single-strobe wide angle. (Perhaps I should think more about getting video lights for my GoPro.)

I did consider more "future-proof" strobes. Thanks for your list of suggestions; I wasn't aware of upcoming strobes beyond the Z330 replacement. I also considered the Scubalamp D-Pro strobe [1], at $760. It should have a lot more power, and uses 18650 batteries so gets fast recycle time. No real or fake TTL.

However, I feel like the S220 is strong enough that it could move with me, at least to a M43 camera setup if not to a full-frame camera. Compared to a more future-proof strobe, I like that it is small and travels easily. Shooting macro with it (e.g., to fill in for the MF-2 strobe), it doesn't compromise too much the ability to fit in small crannies.

I haven't seen many dual-snooted photos. Is this like having one light behind the subject, as a rim light? I don't know that I like these photographs enough, or have enough opportunities to try them.

[1] D-Pro Strobe
My 2psi
I have been looking at the D Strobe, it's a great value in a tough pro output strobe, nice colour temp etc. It's heavy, and I see no way you will balance it with a TG6 in the water that won't end up making your wrist tired after a dive. A big FF camera , big dome etc and sure, but a TG6? Good luck. It's also manual of course, which is great unless you sometimes use TTL. For travel, it's also really heavy, especially 2 of them. As leave clothing behind to fly with your dive and camera gear heavy.
I shoot M43, and think you will find the S220 as good enough 85% of the time. I have a few (half dozen actually) strobes that are legit in that power and angle range (YS-01, YS-03 and Oly UFL-3) which are decent. The new strobes spotting lights and recycle times are what has me considering what next. i also have a set of YS-D1's that I do appreciate the extra punch from. But yeah, I want that punch for when I need it, better spotting light and recycle time so why I have been looking truthfully. I also value being able to travel with easily (a huge part of why I shoot MFT), having shot FF in the past and just hating travelling with my system. Even my bigger MFT (em1mk2 in a Olympus housing, 170mm dome) I sometimes look at when flying somewhere to dive and decide to bring my older first gen em5 with 4" zen dome in oly housing instead because it's half the size.. even not being quite as good (but still really good) quality wise or as quick to focus etc.
In my quest to decide what set of strobes I want next, I want true guide of at least 30, colour temp high 4000's or low 5000's , fast recycle, RC TTL and manual, a good led spotting light and not too heavy to travel. Well.. not many options.. LOL , see above post.
But know what I did get last week? two MF-2's with snoots to use them for macro and will test moderate WA just to see. I am diving them this coming weekend first time. i think for my older housing with the 9-18 Oly and 4" zen dome two of them will let me still get the lighting to get some shots

As to the dual snoot thing, I don't think a ton of folks are doing, but ..why not
You can achieve a backlight type effect with one snoot that depending on subject can be pretty cool. You don't "need" 2 snoots and can do with other secondary light sources but.. I got two MF-2's with snoot to play with

My 2psi
I have been looking at the D Strobe, it's a great value in a tough pro output strobe, nice colour temp etc. It's heavy, and I see no way you will balance it with a TG6 in the water that won't end up making your wrist tired after a dive. A big FF camera , big dome etc and sure, but a TG6? Good luck. It's also manual of course, which is great unless you sometimes use TTL. For travel, it's also really heavy, especially 2 of them. As leave clothing behind to fly with your dive and camera gear heavy.
I shoot M43, and think you will find the S220 as good enough 85% of the time. I have a few (half dozen actually) strobes that are legit in that power and angle range (YS-01, YS-03 and Oly UFL-3) which are decent. The new strobes spotting lights and recycle times are what has me considering what next. i also have a set of YS-D1's that I do appreciate the extra punch from. But yeah, I want that punch for when I need it, better spotting light and recycle time so why I have been looking truthfully. I also value being able to travel with easily (a huge part of why I shoot MFT), having shot FF in the past and just hating travelling with my system. Even my bigger MFT (em1mk2 in a Olympus housing, 170mm dome) I sometimes look at when flying somewhere to dive and decide to bring my older first gen em5 with 4" zen dome in oly housing instead because it's half the size.. even not being quite as good (but still really good) quality wise or as quick to focus etc.
In my quest to decide what set of strobes I want next, I want true guide of at least 30, colour temp high 4000's or low 5000's , fast recycle, RC TTL and manual, a good led spotting light and not too heavy to travel. Well.. not many options.. LOL , see above post.
But know what I did get last week? two MF-2's with snoots to use them for macro and will test moderate WA just to see. I am diving them this coming weekend first time. i think for my older housing with the 9-18 Oly and 4" zen dome two of them will let me still get the lighting to get some shots

As to the dual snoot thing, I don't think a ton of folks are doing, but ..why not
You can achieve a backlight type effect with one snoot that depending on subject can be pretty cool. You don't "need" 2 snoots and can do with other secondary light sources but.. I got two MF-2's with snoot to play with

So….I’m curious…how did the shoots go using the two MF-2’s for wide angle? I just bought one with snoot and am thinking of getting another vs the S220. I have a TG5 and love doing macro but am going to Socorro in December and wondering how to balance the MF-2 or if even to bother taking it diving with me…I only have the 4” WA lens on my system too…

So….I’m curious…how did the shoots go using the two MF-2’s for wide angle? I just bought one with snoot and am thinking of getting another vs the S220. I have a TG5 and love doing macro but am going to Socorro in December and wondering how to balance the MF-2 or if even to bother taking it diving with me…I only have the 4” WA lens on my system too…
I am sad to report that I didn't test yet.

I am sad to report that I didn't test yet.
Ah, oh well…thanks for letting me know. I’m also looking at the Olympus UFL-3 as it also has the RC TTL and is comparable in weight and colour to the MF-2. I’ve fought with other strobes in that past that didn’t talk the same language and want to make my life simpler. Might go that way…. I see you said you have one of those too…Have you tried taking wide angle pictures with the UFL-3 and the MF-2?

I have 2x ufl-3's, they work great for wide angle. Image attached with 2x UFL-3's, only moderate wide angle but RC mode
3848849.jpg

I so far have had one whole dive with the MF-2's and it was very short as housing started to flood... no damage thankfully as caught early and was super slow leak
3848303.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom