More UK deaths - whats happening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior diver:
and we have very little fish life.

In the areas that there are fish you push to see them for longer and longer as you know that seeing fish life (alot) in England is very rare, risking your air running out but are to absorbed in watching the fish to notice.

Not sure where you get them from or where you dive unless its inland only - the UK waters have a big variety of fish life and certainly more than ive seen in places like greece/eastern med.

Cave diving although performed isnt as popular as it is elsewhere in the world such as the USA.

Although wreck diving is popular (mainly due to the large number of wrecks) its certainly not all diving - we have standard reef, walls, fast drifts and so on all of which can be very enjoyable.

Only a very small % of incidents can be attributed to penetrating wrecks and running into trouble as well.

The biggest & most tightly packed school of fish I've ever seen was on a 42m wreck dive in the UK. I'm crap at identifying fish - all I can say is that they were all brown :)
But it was way more fish than I've seen on both the GBR and red sea - problem is, they are really boooring.

Hoppy:
I cant quote for sure but I believe we may have. I seem to remember seeing a post where that happened. May have been a very close friend of a member but...... a loss is a loss. All I know is that strangely they all seem to hit me in some way although I never met them, we seem to share the loss because they anjoyed what we enjoy. God speed them.

Well said, Hoppy :frown:

junior diver:
We have some of the most difficult diving conditions in the world (not THE most) and we have very little fish life. This leads to wreck and cave diving. Cave divings all about the penetration but the further you go in the further you have to come out. Wreck diving, though not as much penetration, is just as dangerous if not more dangerous as the better wrecks are deeper (or so I'm told) and there are alot of entaglement risks, risks of getting hoses cut, bladder puntured etc... So I think it can only be expected really. In the areas that there are fish you push to see them for longer and longer as you know that seeing fish life (alot) in England is very rare, risking your air running out but are to absorbed in watching the fish to notice.
Ashley,

I don't think the perceived lack of fish life is what leads some divers to wrecks. Some are interested by the wrecks themselves. They can also be oases of fishlife in relatively barren areas, i.e. Lyme Bay. I have not been able to see wrecks well for the fish sometimes. I don't know any diver who has pushed for longer to see fish life. With the exception of the younger Richard Pyle maybe (look him up).

With regard to cut hoses, that would take some doing. Perhaps punctured bladder. Entanglement is fair, but we mitigate these risks. It sound a little like someone has been telling you scare stories.

I see from your profile that you have dived in Stoney and Capernwray. Have you been in British sea waters yet. You should, it's warmer for a start :D

Safe diving,

Adrian

Adrian Kelland:
Have you been in British sea waters yet. You should, it's warmer for a start :D

To True...................

Trying to get a trip down to anglesey......

Anglesey's supposed to be fab, know a few divers from swansea uni who've dived there.

Going back to the start of the thread, never really imagined that anyone I knew would die diving, kinda harsh reminder that it can potentially. happen to the best of people regardless of ability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom