More to it than fashion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you about the streamlining. My husband's Cobra is a nice, smooth, hydrodynamic design, although somewhat more difficult to secure to the left hip neatly than a simple SPG. But particularly if you are carrying stages or deco bottles, I think you're really happier with gauges which are parked in front of your face, rather than having to unclip something every time you want to check your depth or dive time. And a compass on a console is a PITA.

I'm not so sure that an armload of gauges (sometimes two armloads) is more streamlined than a compact analog spg/computer console.

I am. As are others here who've done the dives.

I am not sure of your diving position in the water, but I carry my light left handed. Which means my left arm is slightly extended for the duration of my dive. My right hand often sits under my left. Having my gauges there where I need not move anything but my eyes to have a look at my depth, run time, compass heading, or any other piece of vital information keeps me streamlined in the water.

Reaching back to unclip my SPG, demands that I break from this very streamlined position and present my left arm like a sail in the wind. Because I only check that SPG 3-4 times per dive, it's acceptable. But if I had to do it every time I wanted to have an idea of my depth, I'd be VERY un-streamlined very frequently in my dive.

And what of my deco? If I had to clip and unclip the thing every 10-20ft to verify my depth, or worse, hold that console in my hand constantly to monitor depth, how is that better? The reason you put a goodman handle on your light is to leave the hand free to manage other tasks. By having to hold up a console you are fully occupying the left hand.

What happens when you add a scooter to the mix? Or you need to manage the drysuit and the inflator or deflator while keeping an eye on your depth?

Leave the console in OW.

You should definitely wear your console cave diving. And your split fins. And your snorkle. I hear the BC integrated safe 2d is more streamlined than the necklaced backup regulator so do that too.

I am. As are others here who've done the dives.

I am not sure of your diving position in the water, but I carry my light left handed. Which means my left arm is slightly extended for the duration of my dive. My right hand often sits under my left. Having my gauges there where I need not move anything but my eyes to have a look at my depth, run time, compass heading, or any other piece of vital information keeps me streamlined in the water.

Reaching back to unclip my SPG, demands that I break from this very streamlined position and present my left arm like a sail in the wind. Because I only check that SPG 3-4 times per dive, it's acceptable. But if I had to do it every time I wanted to have an idea of my depth, I'd be VERY un-streamlined very frequently in my dive.

And what of my deco? If I had to clip and unclip the thing every 10-20ft to verify my depth, or worse, hold that console in my hand constantly to monitor depth, how is that better? The reason you put a goodman handle on your light is to leave the hand free to manage other tasks. By having to hold up a console you are fully occupying the left hand.

What happens when you add a scooter to the mix? Or you need to manage the drysuit and the inflator or deflator while keeping an eye on your depth?

Leave the console in OW.

Excellent explanation. Again, one that I hope would have been covered in a Basic Cave class.

I agree.

Get back to us after you do some dives with a couple slung 80s, or a stage and some deco gas.

Ya think ??? :rofl3:
I'd HATE to have to mess with a console clip on/clip off with a couple extra bottles. (EEK)
Too many other things to concentrate on.

(Good Point Perrone... :D )

Hey , be safe up dere in dat Handle...I hear IKE's waves are nassy.

Thanks!
Jelly Bean

You should definitely wear your console cave diving. And your split fins. And your snorkle. I hear the BC integrated safe 2d is more streamlined than the necklaced backup regulator so do that too.

(almost pee'd in my shorts on that one ) UFFDA!!! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

gads , that's nassy :shocked2:

Beano

I'm not so sure that an armload of gauges (sometimes two armloads) is more streamlined than a compact analog spg/computer console.

I don't mean to get on your case, but the hose routing in your profile picture of Orange Grove speaks louder than words can......

Safe diving,

Rich

I don't mean to get on your case, but the hose routing in your profile picture of Orange Grove speaks louder than words can......

Rich

Ballerific....

Out, out, and away....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom