more questions on tank cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericrd

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi
Here are some more questions on cleaning tanks for O2 PP Blending. I have the oxy hacker guide right next to me, went through a course, and still have questions.

1. I bought a few Luxfer S80 & S80N, new from PSI. One or two have black stains inside. A similar thread seems to say that it is not unusual, but doesnt say if they should be taken away via tumbling. Any opinion on this ?

2. Speaking of which, oxyhacker does not mention that any media needs to be added - just the hot solution. Am I right in thinking that if it is just cleaning, the solution is enough, but if some corrosion needs to be removed, then media is needed ?

3. Hot solution... How do you do multiple tanks with it ? if you reuse it, it ends up being cold... should I reuse it ? microwave in between :wink: ?

4. What quantity of solution do you put in a standard S80 ? Gallon ? 1/2 Gallon ?

thanks for yor help,

eric

The trial and error method of learning tank cleaning procedures, especially if your going to do partial pressure Nitrox blending, isn't the way I would go about it. It would probably be better if you worked with someone who has experiance O2 cleaning cylinders before you try it on your own.

Anyway, I use glass beads with the cleaning solution for O2 cleaning cylinders. You need to be sure to fill it well over 1/2 full with the beads. Otherwise there will be a small circular area on the bottom of the tanks that doesn't get cleand properly.

If the tank need tumbling, I use ceramic tumbling chips w/ dawn dish soap first and rince rince well before O2 cleaning with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and glass beads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom