More pockets on wetsuits questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've read plenty of old threads, as well as done multiple google searches and hunted through other forums, finding a wealth of information - some of it contradictory to the rest.

I picked up Airpseed Press's Wetsuit & Drysuit Repair book, but I'm still waiting on it to come in. Almost every discussion covers the fact that wetsuits stretch, so you have to try it on to trace where the pocket goes before you glue it in place. Makes sense. What about the other way though?

Some say the suit needs to be stretched while gluing the pocket on, others say just to trace it and get placement for the pocket, but not necessarily while gluing. Say I keep the suit stretched so the pocket fits exactly the outline I made while wearing my suit, I glue the pocket and let it dry with the suit stretched. Won't this cause an issue when I pull out the cardboard stretching the suit, or take it off? Will the glue/pocket just keep the area of neoprene under the pocket stretched for the life of the pocket, will the pocket bunch up when the suit comes off, or will it just stress the adhesive too much and eventually tear the pocket off?

The procedure seems to be roughly the same, but the small details vary enough to make me wonder about the most reliable method.

I have wetsuits with glued pockets and wetsuits with stitched pockets. I will never glue on another pocket. Go to the effort of finding someone to stitch it on for you. The end result is much more comfortable and more attractive, as well as more durable.

Jackie

I have wetsuits with glued pockets and wetsuits with stitched pockets. I will never glue on another pocket. Go to the effort of finding someone to stitch it on for you. The end result is much more comfortable and more attractive, as well as more durable.

Jackie

Definitely agree. I got mine done here:
http://www.gamblescuba.com/
Might want to give them a call and ask for Steve. I just put the wetsuit on, positioned the pockets where I wanted them and traced their location, then sent them off. I got them glued and stitched, and 3 years later they are still in place and look new. I have seen quite a few glued pockets that start to peal at the corners after only a few months.
That was a few years ago, so I don't know what they are charging now, but at the time it was $15 per pocket, and worth every penny.

Here's what I did.

Put on the suit to mark the pockets.
Stretched the suit over a tank.
Placed a bead of AquaSeal around the edge of the pocket (about 1/2 inch from the edge) and a bead around the edge of the marking on the suit (also about 1/2 to 1 inch from edge.
Placed the pocket, covered with a piece of wax paper and then wrapped tightly around the whole thing with some thick gauze to hold everything in place.
Let it sit overnite.

The results were good. The first one, the AquaSeal was a little too close to the edge, and it seeped out a bit. The second one came out better. The only difference is that the first one looks a little messy. I've got over 120 dives on them, and there is no sign of peeling. For anyone who is concerned with how they "look" when glued, gimme a break. Underwater, there are no fashion police.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom