More pictures of Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG...thanks for those pictures..that is soooo horrible. i feel so bad for all those people. it's so terrible to look at these pictures knowing that i was just there in Feb. god i hope those people will be ok, and that they will be able to rebuild.

It's so horrible to see those pictures. Now has anyone seen or is there any pictures of the Sunset House? i'm really fond of that place and i'm pretty sure that it has suffered tons of damage

Scuba65:
It's so horrible to see those pictures. Now has anyone seen or is there any pictures of the Sunset House? i'm really fond of that place and i'm pretty sure that it has suffered tons of damage

I found this on another board about our beloved Sunset House

Sunset House will be opening full Restaurant and Bar operations by Monday the 27th. My Bar is currently under review for repairs but full operations in the restaurant and on the restaurant patio will be available.

City power is on full time and we expect city water to be restored by Monday the 27th. A little known fact about Sunset House is that we have 50,000 gallons of fresh rain water in the cisterns at all times and we have a massive well water supply. Sunset House was out of water for less than 24 hours after the storm. Sunset’s internal power plant was left in tact and we had power immediately after the storm.

Sea Ray is back in front of the resort. Eagle Ray and Leopard Ray are staying in the Hurricane Hole as we have no guests to go diving anyway but are in good shape. Manta is back in the water and conducting salvage work on 50+ vessels at this time. Sting Ray has been set back up on dry dock and appears to have no damage at all.

The dive shop sends our best wishes to Rob Reynolds who has left us as of last week. Rob got engaged the week prior to the hurricane and they have decided to move on.

The rooms are now 95% occupied by staff and relief workers. Insurance adjustors and roofing crews are now working on plans and repairs to damage.

We will be publishing our next email newsletter this weekend where you can receive full updates on the resort and we will publish some of the first pictures of Sunset House the dive shop and My Bar. We will also open an email form where you can get a message to any individual on staff.

As a note to anyone that is interested - not a single piece of thatch came off the My Bar roof. As amazing as this is it also created a large sail in 200 mph winds causing many of the support pieces to bend or crack. Pictures will be online with the newsletter.

We would like to thank everyone for the many emails and for the generous offers for relief aid. Words are not enough to thank you for your efforts.

Dee Montieth can be contacted at reservations@sunsethouse.com for reservations related information, Reg Creighton can be contacted at webmaster@sunsethouse.com for hurricane relief or messages to be relayed and Sally Hendricken can be contacted at sally@sunsethouse.com for management related issues. Some of the other emails will be difficult to use at this time but we will do our best.

At this time relief efforts are underway and the following information will help answer many of the offers for relief help we have received. Please remember we do not have the ability to house relief effort workers at this time and can't assist in arrivals or food as much as we would love to have each and every one of you here to help the Cayman Islands at this time.

Holy cow, I just can't believe it. The devistation there is just so amazing.... really puts into perspective at just how bad things were... here in Washington, we have never had to deal with that, and I never really knew how bad they were, but this makes it all the more real. YIKES!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom