More Open Source Cochran Utilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IIRC, even with Subsurface you need to put the PDC in a "Computer" mode...

Yep, seems right, but I can't figure out how to do it! With Analyst, I don't recall having to put it in any specific mode. With Subsurface, I don't think I ever got it to work at all.

I can't figure out how to do it!
Try reading the manual I attached a link to.... It is a process where you jump the side contacts with a coin. You have/had to do it with the Analyst software too.

It's likely the problem you're having isn't subsurface related but related to simple Linux permissions. You need to have permission to access /dev/ttyUSB0. Usually this means adding your user to the "dialout" group. Once added you'll need to logout and log back in again for it to take effect.

You need to have permission to access /dev/ttyUSB0. Usually this means adding your user to the "dialout" group.
You, sir, are a genius and a lifesaver!!! It freaking works! I simply used the

“sudo usermod -a -G dialout <username>”
Command in terminal, logged out, logged back in, and my dives held hostage in my Cochran are now in SubSurface! Thankyou!

You, sir, are a genius and a lifesaver!!! It freaking works! I simply used the

“sudo usermod -a -G dialout <username>”
Command in terminal, logged out, logged back in, and my dives held hostage in my Cochran are now in SubSurface! Thankyou!
I had no idea there was such a thing as a dialout group!

Try reading the manual I attached a link to.... It is a process where you jump the side contacts with a coin. You have/had to do it with the Analyst software too.
Thanks for the help - but my problem was not that the EMC-20H needed to be woken up or put in the download mode (I don't think there is one) - but I, as a user, had to be put into a group that has permission to open the port that the Cochran serial convert was mounted on (using Linux). As soon as I did that, all the dives in my Cochran were uploaded into Subsurface! I still have a problem getting Analyst to run, since it appears that the only way a version of Analyst will get past the registration page is with a manually entered registration code, which I never received, due to having it register itself via the internet back when Cochran was in business. I suspect that this will be the reason I stop using my EMC-20H, because I can't change parameters in the DC without using Analyst. The Shearwater Perdix 2 is looking better and better.
But thanks for the help and for the manual. I do appreciate it.

Even using Analyst, you had to put the dive computer in a PC mode to download the logs. IIRC, The Analyst Pro software needed that authorization key. There were also some specific settings that could only be set through that software (I believe just pertaining to DECO dives). Others can be set through manipulation of the wet contacts. This is described in the manual.

Even using Analyst, you had to put the dive computer in a PC mode to download the logs. IIRC, The Analyst Pro software needed that authorization key. There were also some specific settings that could only be set through that software (I believe just pertaining to DECO dives). Others can be set through manipulation of the wet contacts. This is described in the manual.
Perhaps for the model you were using, but I've never had to do that and the manual (none of them that pertain the the EMC-20H or any of its variants) discuss that. I don't believe this DC has a "PC Mode", but I could be mistaken - but I was able to download all my dives into SubSurface. Now, for the EMC-20H, there are a number of things that can't be set by the side contacts - the date is one of them. Time can be set by the contacts and a wet finger and coin, but the system date in the EMC-20H can only be set by using the Analyst, unless someone has improved the other tools well enough to do it outside of the Analyst. That date is pretty important. All in all, I have accomplished what I wanted to do, by downloading my files, but due to the difficulty of unlocking my version of Analyst (due to Cochran not being around any more) I'm pretty much done with them. If someone has a use for an EMC-20H, I'd make mine available to them.

Back
Top Bottom