More Long Hose Ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am almost local to these guys (they are only about 1.5 hours from me). I could show up and have some fun :D.

Do they make a 20' hose? I would like to show up wearing it and tell him that it is because I need to be able to do a safety stops while my buddy surfaces.

:popcorn:

I believe the agency in question is ACUC.

I find the original notice to be irritating and discouraging, especially because of the almost complete ignorance revealed by it, and the fact that someone in a position of power is setting policy in an information vacuum. But I think the most constructive response to something like this is to reach out, if possible, and offer information in a friendly and non-confrontational way. I hope there is someone within reasonable reach of this gentleman, who has good people skills, and can contact him with an offer to go diving and demonstrate some of the procedures with the long hose. I know that I can donate gas to an out of air diver far faster with a long hose than with a traditional octo, and maybe if this gentleman were to see that, he would at least relax his position a bit. Excluding people from club functions because they are using perfectly serviceable kit seems like a fairly violent point of view, to me.

I hope there is someone within reasonable reach of this gentleman,
Steve is pretty close.
who has good people skills,
Ooops. Plan B! :D
and can contact him with an offer to go diving and demonstrate some of the procedures with the long hose. I know that I can donate gas to an out of air diver far faster with a long hose than with a traditional octo, and maybe if this gentleman were to see that, he would at least relax his position a bit. Excluding people from club functions because they are using perfectly serviceable kit seems like a fairly violent point of view, to me.

SB Road Trip!

Steve is pretty close.

Ooops. Plan B! :D

spit.gif

SB Road Trip!

Come one come all...the diving up here is awesome....oh wait, not it is not. It kind of sucks. You might want to rethink your plan.

I think I know someone that dives with 4D......I'll have to see if they still do. It would be interesting to see the response from people if an insider (i.e. a member and not a mole) were to ask the questions sensibly.

I am almost local to these guys (they are only about 1.5 hours from me). I could show up and have some fun :D.

Do they make a 20' hose? I would like to show up wearing it and tell him that it is because I need to be able to do a safety stops while my buddy surfaces.
:rofl3:

Come one come all...the diving up here is awesome....oh wait, not it is not. It kind of sucks. You might want to rethink your plan.

I've already had to rethink it twice. Now my head hurts.

I think I know someone that dives with 4D......I'll have to see if they still do. It would be interesting to see the response from people if an insider (i.e. a member and not a mole) were to ask the questions sensibly.

Wonder if they'd get kicked out for asking about such blasphemy?

spit.gif

You're just saying that to keep people away from our wrecks, no?

No reply from 4D yet, hmm.

spit.gif
\

What?? I was just up there two weeks ago, and the diving was great! We're already planning the next trip.

You're just saying that to keep people away from our wrecks, no?

What?? I was just up there two weeks ago, and the diving was great! We're already planning the next trip.

4D is in Barrie......if you dive in Barrie area, it is because you love diving and it is all you have access to at the time and not because the diving is great. Drive away from Barrie and the story is different.

Wonder if they'd get kicked out for asking about such blasphemy?

My guess is that any direct approach (no matter how nice or tactfully it is presented) with the guy that wrote this policy would get people nowhere. If the members were to push back because it made sense then perhaps.....but then I could be wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom