more headaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have only made ten dives, sense my OW certification. These were two tank dives at around 50ft. The headaches don't start until i've been home for about 1/2 hour. Which is about 4 hours after the dive. They are usually in front or over one eye. I tried a decongestant and it seem to help some. Any ideal what I'm doing wrong?

I know be for you say it (don't go home)

Hi Roger,

That sounds like the dehydration headaches I get. Usually centered over one eye, and nothing seems to make it go away except drinking lots and lots of water.

Be sure to stay well hydrated. Drink lots of water before diving during your surface interval and after you are finished diving. Stay away from things like caffinated and alcoholic beverages, they just dehydrate you even more.

Give it a try and let me know how it works out.

P.S. I am not a medical professional and this advice should not be construed as any kind of diagnosis, simply a bit of friendly advice based on my own past experience.

There are numeous caused for post-dive headaches, the commonest being sinus barotrauma, closely followed by dehydration, hypoglycaemia and carbon dioxide retention I believe.

Roger, might I suggest you do a search for "headache" on the site. You will be amazed at the material therein.

I have found that diving with Nitrox helps in many ways. I suggest you might like to give it a go?

I want to thank all for the information. I have sinus problems, and was wondering. If i was equalizing too hard? Dehydration is also a good possibility. I know I should drink plenty of water. But this is something I have never done. Even before i started diving. One other point, I live 1600ft above where I dive. Any thought on this?

Nitrox is on may list to learn this coming season.

Hello Roger:

It is almost inpossible to "clear" the sinuses with an action on your part (except possibly via the Venturi effect of a vigorous nose 'honk'!

If you have "sinus problems" it would be wise to try to find out what the intranasal pathology causing the problems might be. A visit to your ENT doctor might save you a lot of trouble (and be cheaper in the long run, if you plan to continue to dive). This pathology blocking the openings to your sinuses could be due to septal deviation, polyps or other growths, bony protuberances or allergic rhinitis from any one of a thousand causes.

Headaches can be caused by sinus blockage, usually one of the frontal sinuses over the eye. There are many other causes of diving headaches and this is discussed in our web page at http://www.scuba-doc.com/headache.html

Best regards for safe diving!
scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com/

Subscribe to Ten Foot Stop Newsletter
http://www.scuba-doc.com/sbscrb.html

Hi Roger,

The symptoms you've describe sounded like what I have had before. It's either in the front or over an eye. It doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it happens even if I do not dive.

Problem: Found out the reason of my headaches was due to having one weak eye. It could be the same problem you are facing. No harm seing your optometrist to have your eye checked.

As Ladydiver stated, this is not a diagnosis but a simple friendly advice from my past experience.

Lady diver: "Stay away from things like caffinated and alcoholic beverages, they just dehydrate you even more. "

Me, kaffphine, thought the problem with sodas was the sodium on the dehydration issue, not the caffine.

Hi Kaffphine,

You are right in that ingestion of excess sodium could become problematic, since this has to be excreted by the kidney and takes water with it.

This is why drinking sea water, only, is a very bad idea. In effect you are not drinking at all!

As I understand it the amount of sodium contained even in a glass of sea water, let alone a glass of soda, will not be sufficient to cause major problems provided fresh water is also ingested.

However, Caffeine has two things that do not recommend it.

I) It is a very mild diuretic, and therefore causes dehydration by its effects on the kidney tubules.

ii) It is a stiimulant and will sensitise to brain to Oxygen toxicity (at least in theory.)

I love a cup of coffee after a dive, but also drink a good litre of spring water!

I can't start the day without a pot of coffee and a pound of sugar. Dehydration is most likely causing me problems. So I need to eat and drink properly for diving. I'm just learning and hopefully I will get all the problems solved be for I get too old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom