More geography...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
No. Santa Catalina is a coastal island. Big difference.

Coastal or no, if it's part of the same continental shelf, seems like that's where it belongs. Random works for me though, it fits my lifestyle.

Dee:
Look Guys....we can debate all the exceptions to the geographical lines all day. We went through this when we were trying to set it up. There's always going to be exceptions. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't!

Personally, it some piece of land is in the Pacific Ocean, that's where I hunt for it so the move made sense to me. But if ya'll want to look elsewhere, it doesn't matter to me. I'll move it back so ya'll can find it.:shakehead

OK, I understand the rationale. We do have some inconsistencies. If you go to South America, you'll see an unmoved post with "Galapagos Liveaboard" (or some such) at the top of the recently-posted-replied topics. You then scroll down a bit, and you have the two Galapagos posts which were moved to Australia/Pacific Islands.

Now, semantically, I might argue that Australia is an island in the Pacific :eyebrow: After all, it's just a piece of land surrounded by water! (But then, someone else would argue that so is North/South America, Antarctica, etc. :11: ) We had (partially at my instigation, I must confess) a discussion regarding the separation of Caribbean from Central/South America, and the consensus from that particular discussion was that Roatan, despite being a Caribbean island, would (mostly) post in Central/South America.

I would argue that the Galapagos, while a set of islands in the Pacific ocean, politically belong to Ecuador, which is a South American country. If you'll force the rule of non-coastal islands, then, we should discuss moving the Hawaiian divers subforum from US to Australia/Pacific Islands :D

Seriously, if you think Galapagos should post in Aus/Pac, I'm fine. But I think we ought to have a discussion about it before all Galapagos gets moved there. If the consensus of the discussers (is that a noun?) feel (however wrong I think they are) that Galapagos topics belong in Aus/Pac, that's fine. But if not, then, the posts should stay in Central/South Am.

So, I repeat that I believe Galapagos topics should post in the Central/South American forum, because (a) the Galapagos are relatively near Central/South America, (b) to get there, you have to fly thru South America, and (c) they politically belong to Ecuador.

Similarly, scuba diving in the Falkland Islands should post in Europe, while scuba diving in the Malvinas should post in Central/South America :D

--wherever you go, there you are-- :blinking:

Up til now, it would never have crossed my mind to consider the Galapagos as part of Australia & the Pacific Islands, although now I see the reasoning. I would have assumed to look in the forum which had info related to Ecuador since that is how I personally associate the location of the Galapagos.

I can see where this is a bit of a thorny issue with no clear answers if one looks to all the political and geographical issues. But taking it on a case by case basis I would expect to see the Galapagos in Central & South America forum.

Regardless, I figure Dee and Co. do a really good job of keeping things straight around here, Thanks! I am sure I could find what I was looking for either way.

Kupu:
Up til now, it would never have crossed my mind to consider the Galapagos as part of Australia & the Pacific Islands, although now I see the reasoning. I would have assumed to look in the forum which had info related to Ecuador since that is how I personally associate the location of the Galapagos.

I can see where this is a bit of a thorny issue with no clear answers if one looks to all the political and geographical issues. But taking it on a case by case basis I would expect to see the Galapagos in Central & South America forum.

Regardless, I figure Dee and Co. do a really good job of keeping things straight around here, Thanks! I am sure I could find what I was looking for either way.

Kupu,

I nominate you for diplomat-of-the-board!!! :D

heh heh, I've been accused of having diplomatic tendencys before...

So would this position have benefits such as traveling to the area in question to establish just where the heck the Galapagos are? I am sure some reconnaissance dives of the underwater shelf would help clarify things.

Similar issue with Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao. Very close to Venezuela which would make them South America but politically linked to the Netherlands. So, where to put them? Europe? South America? :D

Or perhaps the Greater Carribean forum... :eyebrow:

Central and South America are in the same forum? That's crazy! Central America is geographically part of North America.

Central & South America:
Dive destinations including Belize, Honduras and the Bay Islands, both coasts of Costa Rica, heading south to South America whilst not forgetting the Galapagos Islands, Easter Island as well as the Falkland Islands.
The forum description has been updated to avoid further confusion...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom