More Fit to Dive Posts - Big Guy- Out of Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, scenario one only happens once. I married her quick before she could get to know me.

Scenario two happens relatively often. I encourage folks to be solo certified, or bring their own buddy.

Sorry but running out of air has nothing to do with fitness. If you are not aware of your sac rate and keeping up with your available gas, you should not be diving without an instructor who can teach you to be more aware.

A good diver will not end up in that position unless it was the result of an equipment failure. Then he would have to rely on a buddy or a redundant source. Neither have anything to do with fitness.

While I agree with what you say from a makes sense to me standpoint, it seems that heavier folks tend to get in low or out of air situations more readily. My guess is that they are diving with a more fit buddy and don't want to hear about having to come up early for the air hog after the dive.

In real life, less fit divers tend to run out/low on air more often than fit divers.

Phil:

Are you part of the RDC? Is so, hope to meet you soon, just joined myself.

IdocSteve, sometimes your posts are just so entertaining.

Oh wait, I gotta stay on topic! Mods, you know. Ah, yep, being fat and going diving is a bad thing. I agree, get in shape!

Ah, yes Enotalone. That place is a blast for sure. I've had about 200 user IDs over there since my idocsteve ID was banned a few years back.

Nothing better than a forum filled with clueless teenagers asking really stupid questions about dating. "She looked at me in class while twirling her pencil, does she like me?". "I went to ask her out and got all nervous and then walked away did I ruin my chances?" "He put it in me and there was white stuff could I get pregnant?" "We went on one date and I said let's go steady but she didn't take her dating profile down yet so I am going to give her the silent treatment is this a good idea?"

Divers please do what you can to exercise on a regular basis to stay healthy and happy.

My guess is that they are diving with a more fit buddy and don't want to hear about having to come up early for the air hog after the dive.

My guess is it just simply requires more O2 to keep that body going. Also, in my experience, I usually need 2-4# extra (lead) @ 230# (body) than 215#.

wookie:
I encourage folks to be solo certified....

This one made me go "hmmmm..." Do you mean via the Capt/DM (as in diving once and "showing her/him" that you're GTG, which makes you then "certified" with that DM)? Or just getting the SDI qual (which according to Google remains the only "certification" for solo diving)?

Which leads to my next question for the Capt's/those "in the know" out there:
1) Do you accept the SDI "Solo Cert"? All the other training that I've gotten (granted all 2 agencies of them) is totally AGAINST diving solo.
2) Does DAN/TRICARE/other insurances cover solo diving?
[/threadjack] :cool2:

... and the number of fit, obese people is much smaller than many would like to admit.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Is there such thing as a fit, obese person?

I do agree with the general premise here. In almost any recreational setting (especially those that have potential to be life threatening) being fit is advantageous.

In our worlds, it could mean being able to swim back to the dive boat, or having to be picked up. (Take it from this fat diver :wink: )

It could also save your life.

Sounds like you all need to do a spreadsheet of OOA incidents and follow up your hypothesis with research.

Trends in America show the population is getting more obese with each year. It doesn't look like it's going to change, although the effects of energy, food and housing cost increases combined with lower earned wages and USD value may do something to this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom