More Expensive than I thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Technically - It never end - unless you get a control over your self and buy smart.

My first gear was for #400 including tanks - used of course - serviced and good enough for me. After diving a couple of year I decided to get new stuff = Which Cost around $1000. Combo of Mostly new stuff but little bit of used stuff like tank.

If you start taking pics - that would end up costing $2000.
You move on to a Re-breather that would cost you $6000.
You buy a scooter --- well you get the point.

The thing is - do it at a bit at a time - look for deals-

Once you get done with your kit - it will last you ages. or a couple of years.

Its Up to you.

If you start taking pics - that would end up costing $2000.
You move on to a Re-breather that would cost you $6000.
You buy a scooter --- well you get the point.

Can you point me to where I can buy these things? I'm ~$8k into my wife's camera (about half way to what she wants) and ~$15k into my rebreather... scooters would round out those numbers nicely - maybe next year...

Can you point me to where I can buy these things? I'm ~$8k into my wife's camera (about half way to what she wants) and ~$15k into my rebreather... scooters would round out those numbers nicely - maybe next year...

LOL - maybe I was being conservative for the new person - but reality is you can just keep on spending in diving. I know people with RBs and they got theirs for around $6000 - JJ and other brands. I am surprised you are 15k into yours. I guess different diving styles.

So far, I've only gotten my BC (Zeagle Zena) and am awaiting my wetsuit, combined cost of $600. I can use my hub's reg, as long as we aren't diving at the same time until I can get my own (hopefully soon). I added all this up and I've read these posts. At least I don't have to worry about overheating (golf - hardly anyone on the greens in the Charlotte area yesterday). No interest/hobby/sport is really inexpensive, so we are just learning to deal with it.

I am embarrassed to say that my other hobby, sewing, has been far more expensive. I own a high-end, computerized sewing/embroidery machine with computer interface. It's making my scuba outlay look pitiful - we're talking about $8K for one of these things. Not to mention other stuff (thread - ain't cheap - stabilizer, designs, etc).

I am blessed to live in an area with diving opportunities within 3 hours of my home. I have my husband as well as 2 other people (both dive masters) I can dive with. Hopefully, an exotic trip next year!

If you go the e-bay route then keep in mind the manufactures warranty is sometimes not transferable if buying from an unauthorized dealer/used (or applicable if buying grey market) so you may be on the hoop for the full cost of a regulator service whereas if warranty were to cover you then all you would be required to pay is labour since parts would be covered. For me, if I loose my warranty coverage then my regulator service would over double in cost due to the cost of the part kits. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, you just need to factor it in to the cost vs savings when you are figuring out how much you want to spend and how long you are going to keep your gear for.

* It is recommended that you have your gear serviced before you use it if you are buying used gear *

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom