More bent fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hylian Loach

Registered
Reaction score
In Edmonds. Just north of Seattle. Home of Rick St
A little while ago I was in a flurry of activity trying to find a good fin for both snorkeling and scuba. I eventually decided on a pair of cressi master frogs. But when they came to me they were bent up durring shipping. They seem fine now however, after many wierd things being put on them at all different angles.

This is not my first experience with bent cressi products. I ended up returning a pair of cressi sub reaction pros a while ago because they became bent so badly during shipping that they could not bend right.

I would like to know if anyone out there has a method for straitening out fins that are deformed.

I would also like to know if people would be willing to pay a little extra for a pair of fins if they came in a box that prevented them from being deformed at odd angles. I mean come on cressi. What's so hard about making a shipping container that protects them properly. Mares does it.

My Jets will get bent out of shape if I leave them sitting in my car for a couple of hours hanging over the edge of a seat, or setting on top of something else, but laying them out in the sun on a flat surface (like the driveway) for 30 minutes seems to cure them... dunno about other fins though.

Aloha, Tim

I would also like to know if people would be willing to pay a little extra for a pair of fins if they came in a box that prevented them from being deformed at odd angles. I mean come on cressi. What's so hard about making a shipping container that protects them properly. Mares does it.

All fins I've ever bought, used or new, were shipped in a cardboard box, yours too I assume, so external pressure would be unlikely to cause them to bend during shipping unless the box itself is actually crushed or bent which is rare. I presume your problem had more to do with incorrect packaging like stuffing the fins into a box that was too small to begin with or not using proper filler?

All fins I've ever bought, used or new, were shipped in a cardboard box, yours too I assume, so external pressure would be unlikely to cause them to bend during shipping unless the box itself is actually crushed or bent which is rare. I presume your problem had more to do with incorrect packaging like stuffing the fins into a box that was too small to begin with or not using proper filler?

The ones I bought came in a cardboard box and their normal packaging was just a plactic bag. The box was to narrow for them and they got warped. My biggest complaint about cressi products is that they just ship them to you in plasic bags with the heels facing in opposite directions.

Just out of curiosty what fins did you by that came in a box? Most of the fins I have bought were packed in nothing more than plastic bags with (maybe) a board between them to keep the fins from being deformed by the foot insert.

Just out of curiosty what fins did you by that came in a box? Most of the fins I have bought were packed in nothing more than plastic bags with (maybe) a board between them to keep the fins from being deformed by the foot insert.

I bought my Scubapro Jets off ebay (used) but they came in their original box which was correctly sized for them. My OMS Slipstreams (new) also came in a big enough box but it was generic (seller provided) if I recall correctly. My Tusa X-pert Zooms were in transparent bags but also came in a generic box along with other things I had ordered. I bought my Force fin pros and XS Power fins used off here and thedecostop but both sellers shipped them in generic boxes big enough for them.

I suppose a lot of fins in the store are just hanging there or otherwise out on display or in a transparent bags and I have no idea whether in the backroom there are boxes of them like in shoe stores, but regardless every retailer I've ever ordered fins from has had the common sense or courtesy to put them in a box regardless of whether it was provided by the manufacturer or not.

But when they came to me they were bent up durring shipping.

Administer emergency Oxygen, and take them straight to the recompression chamber :rofl3:

Ok, seriously:
Kidspot's suggestion makes a lot of sense to me. I'd try that first, before sending them back in.

The "spare" pair of Jet XLs I just purchased came in a plastic bag with a ScubaPro emblem upon it. The Voit UDT Super Frog Feet I bought a couple of years ago came in a very nice box worthy of collecting. My Nemrod Super A Professionals also came in a nice box.

Rubber fins react differently than thermoplastic and hybrid materials to being deformed.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom