Moral quandary. Need your help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You also might want to consider a gift card in the event that she doesn't have a favorite libation. (Perhaps to an online photo store, BH Photo comes to mind.) That way she could add any accessories or make another purchase.

Just my personal opinion but my daddy taught me 50+ years ago, "son don't borrow anything that you can't afford to replace, and if you do borrow return it in better condition than your received it". I have lived all my life by that principal and my children have been taught the same lesson.,....if you borrow be prepared to repair or replace if it breaks. I understand your quandry it is not an easy decision what to do and only you and your consience can lead you to make the correct decision.

if you borrow <something and it breaks/gets flooded/gets otherwise damaged or lost or stolen>, you fix it to a condition that is better than when you borrowed it and you do it as fast as possible.
This should be law. I can't believe how many people will borrow something and return it in a condition worse that it was in before. That is just so uncool.

I guess that I'm just at a loss when someone doesn't want you to repair/replace something that got damaged while in my possession.

As for your personal experience here, as you offered instead of just doing it and she was more than happy to have you NOT replace it, I'd say you definitely need to make a gesture as many have suggested above. Something that she wouldn't get for herself or that you know will go towards something she really enjoys - B&H Photo Gift Certificates are excellent!

For me, If it flodded on my watch, I'll replace it. However, since he does not want you too, how about buying the old housing from him? Will it fit your camera? If not, at least you have eased the cost of buying a new one steup a little.

Wow, I'm very impressed that the camera owner was so gallant and understanding about it. Yeah, he probably has it insured, so it's no big deal.

I like the bottle idea; or perhaps at least an offer to pay the insurance deductible (if it is insured)?

Also, that's really nice of you to have saved his flash card.

And I admire the fact that you want to bear at least some responsibility for what happened.

I recently had a situation where a diving buddy of mine had moved some of my gear around after a dive, and he set it on the gunwhale of his boat. I didn't know he placed it there, and when I turned to look for it, he realized it had fallen off and was lost. I asked him if he would replace it, but he said 'no, s*** happens.'

While I probably am somewhat responsible for what happened, that is one buddy I will never dive with again.

So, at the very least, kudos to you for caring about the property of another!

While I probably am somewhat responsible for what happened, that is one buddy I will never dive with again.

shoupart, how do you figure that you are in any way responsible for the loss of your gear? I don't get it. Why did he move your gear in the first place?
++Ken++

bummer....how expensive are those now a days?
I'm sure I got it for under $25 so it's not a huge deal.

You also might want to consider a gift card in the event that she doesn't have a favorite libation.
Now that is a fantastic idea!!

The camera was not insured. It was an older Canon (pocket point and shoot type) with a Canon case. I'm sure that I could find a replacement/refurbished camera for under $100. When I told her that I was going to get a replacement she stated that she didn't want me to because it "gives me an excuse to upgrade".

I guess she ordered a SLR with a Ikalite housing. Maybe I can get her an accessory for the new camera.....maybe some HUGE memory cards, strobes, or something like that.

Cajuncru: Words to live by my friend. I taught myself this years ago. I never want to be known as "That guy". I also never want to be known as a person who doesn't honor a promise or who has a questionable integrity.

In this day and age, integrity appears to be in short supply. The days of a person's word and a hand shake are virtually gone. It's frustrating to be 'burned' by people on a regular basis and sometimes the thought of joining the ranks crosses my mind. But, I just don't have it in me to use someone as a means to my ends. In the end, I've got to be able to live with myself.

i think most lds reckon their camera gear is going to flood sooner rather than later and as they have refused your original offer to help pay for a replacement - i would be buying them a bottle of their fav as a thankyou instead

and...

as they have behaved so reasonably about this i would mention their name for being such a nice dive op and maybe an extra customer or 2 will come their way

cheers
Couldn't have said it better.

I guess she ordered a SLR with a Ikalite housing. Maybe I can get her an accessory for the new camera.....maybe some HUGE memory cards, strobes, or something like that.

Ooooooh accessories! I was going to vote for a gift certificate to some sort of spa but accessories are a fantastic idea!
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom