Moped rental in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best explanation for not renting a moped in Cozumel that I've ever heard came from an orientation on one of my first trips to Cozumel....

You are in a country where "machismo" is alive and well. Your right to the roadway is directly proportional to the size of your vehicle...a 'gringo' on a moped is at the low end of the food chain.

Personally, our groups have found that the best way to tour the island is to find a cab driver you like and hire them for the day/afternoon...cost us about the same as a rental care AND we didn't have to wait in line at the gas station to fill up at the end of the day...

IMHO...

Having just returned from Playa del Carmen on a business trip and reading this thread, I felt obliged to add my comments on this subject.

Unfortunately, we had one member of our group involved in a fairly serious moped accident resulting in an overnight stay in hospital and another involved in a separate fender bender.

On many occasions, I have rented mopeds and on just as many occasions I have seen the results of both carless, inexperinced tourist and agressive local drivers. I find it curious how everyone thinks they can handle a moped while on holidays, in unfamiliar surroundings, usually with a beer or two on board, and yet they are not licenced to operate a motorcycle at home?

My advise is simple, if you don't ride at home, don't rent a moped while on holiday! Sort of like diving, if you haven't dove recently, get a check out dive before jumping off a dive boat.

Play safe, dive safe!

I completely agree, avoid renting mopeds....it's amazing how many accidents you see with these things.

The other thing I would recomend is to bypass some of the local deals on VW's and jeeps....these things don't seem to maintained on any regular basis, and are used just about every day.

We had an incident with 4 crew memebers in a jeep in Coz. They were in a remote part of the island, and the front left tire blew out. The jeep flipped and everyone was thrown from it. The driver had his jaw crushed and a broken arm....he also had a bunch of his skin scraped off. Another broke a leg, and again was missing a lot of skin...these two were in the hospital for a while (airlifted to Miami)...the other two could come back on to the ship directly...but I know one of them lost most of the skin off of his back and was in the infirmary for a while.

It's worth it to pay a little more and get a car (not jeep) from Hertz or someone.

Peace,
Cathie

Just returned from Coz. Do not rent a moped.
Saw several accidents, including a death (we think)
Rent a car, jeep, taxi, but not a moped

.... way back in this thread.

In fact, the day after the original inquiry the poster changed his question to, "Any info on the best car or jeep rentals in Coz?"

Does anybody have anything new & different to add?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
.... way back in this thread.

In fact, the day after the original inquiry the poster changed his question to, "Any info on the best car or jeep rentals in Coz?"

Does anybody have anything new & different to add?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Taxis are cheap in Coz. You might need a car for a half day tour of the island. Combine that with some shore diving at Chankanab to get the most out of a one day rental. Its not like Houston or LA where you need wheels every day.

they have a circular drive. A kid has a tiny booth
at the north end of the drive on the main street.
He'll rent you a jeep for around $30 a day if you
dicker with him. The jeep will be beaten up and
probably was stolen in Chicago a couple of months
earlier but it will take you where you want to go.
It also has 4 wheel drive which can come in handy.

Like it has been said---if your not familiar with riding one at home----don't ride one there----but----on the other hand-----I spent from last Sept. to the end of Jan. there----rode one--had one----rode a bike---and drove my truck. JUST LIKE IN THE US----if you know how to ride----and drive defensive like you should----one means of transport is no more dangerous than the other. If the mopeds were all that terribly dangerous---there wouldn't be 1000's of them being ridden by women with children all over the Island!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom