Moose visits St. Croix V.I.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Check out the turtle and octopus videos from St. Croix.

Had some fantastic dives with Catherine Stewart (Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) at St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures St. Croix V.I. with Cathrine (DM))

And St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (Ed Buckley) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super people and dive op.

Check out the videos and

How did St. Croix stack up against other Caribbean-region places you've been? Did you try the shore diving?

I'd like to try St. Croix someday; my problems are limited time and money, and bunch of other options I've never been to.

Richard.

Frederiksted Pier is a shore dive - probably the best 30 ft deep dive you will ever do (especially at night). There are lots of shore diving locations on the island. The North Shore (Cane Bay and Davis Bay) have relatively short swims out to the "Wall" which drops to over 4000 ft starting at about 60 ft depth. The edge of the wall has beautiful spur & groove formations prior to reaching the wall. Not as many locations as Bonaire or Curacao and few are marked.

There are also some excellent boat dives - the spot where Salt River Canyon meets the Wall is one of those spots where you never know what you will find. Sharks, turtles, big rays are common - plus there are several schools of Dolphin that make the island home (not to mention whales in the winter).

As far as money - you can get cheap airfares going through Nashville (American) to Miami to St Croix. The food is as good or better than Bonaire (and cost as much :wink:).

Try it - you might like it (my wife and I did, so much so, we bought a place there after 15 years of exploring just about every island in the Caribbean).

Thanks for the info. I'd wondered how long swim outs were at Cane Bay. Are most people towing dive flags when shore diving St. Croix?

I have heard that you are supposed to tow a dive flag but have never seen anyone with one.

The swim out at Davis Bay is about 50 yards to the spur & groove and maybe 80 to the first major drop. Cane Bay is a little longer swim out.

There are many dive spots at the East and West walls at Salt River. I've probably been to each of them several times. Not so much since Anchor Dive closed. Almost always have reef sharks investigating. I think in general the shore dive to the wall at Davis Bay is as good as a boat dive at the other spots. Boats don't go to Davis Bay so no flag needed there. Cane Bay Dive shop takes their small rubber boats at to Cane Bay as well as shore diving but I've not seen dive flags used there either.

Back
Top Bottom