Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was out on the grass above the Breakwater as this happened and turned on Marine 16 after everyone got there. It was local Fire engine and BC vehicle, USCG, local PD and a contract Paramedic ambulance (all arrived lights/sirens) on scene at the end of the pier.

Marine 16 seemed to be the inter-op frequency between the USCG and other boats in the water, the vessel bringing the patient to shore and the fire incident commander (Pier IC?) as well as chatter to USCG Station Monterey.

By the time I had the radio on, the patient was already being cared for by responders and was soon transported to the ambulance. They did not give any patient reports over the radio other than to say that they were "busy with patient care and will landline when able".

<n^th-hand gossip>
Returning tanks at Bamboo Reef, a guy there "had heard" that a diver couldn't find his buddy and surfaced to find him face down and unresponsive. CPR was in progress once they got him on a boat and continued until transferred to paramedics.
</n^th-hand gossip>

By my take, the only good news was that the ambulance screamed out of the lot Code 3 (lights/sirens), which is how people are transferred to the hospital, not the morgue. Statistics don't bode well for the diver, though.

-Ben

This diver didn't make it. Another fatality in Monterey. What's going on?

Ug. Do we have any more information on what happened? Anyone we know? I tried to find information this morning and there didn't appear to be any news articles.

It hits close since I dive off an inflatable boat.

My condolences to friends and families.

Monterey's press release has a few more details, but not much.

http://goo.gl/bPq3p

Diver had no pulse when located. Regained a pulse at CHOMP and was in the ICU.

Monterey, Ca. - During a training exercise on Saturday, June 11, the crew of the City of
Monterey’s fire boat, the Pearl, heard a marine radio distress call from a dive boat
anchored offshore near Cannery Row. After learning the vessel’s description and location,
the Monterey fire boat crew quickly located the dive boat in their immediate area and
responded to the call of a diver in distress. On arrival at the scene, they found a diver
floating in the water. The diver and his dive partner were pulled aboard the fire boat. At
the time of the rescue, the diver did not have a pulse and was not breathing. Monterey
firefighters administered CPR until the diver was safely delivered by ambulance to
CHOMP, where he regained a pulse and was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit. The
fire boat crew was commended for their excellent teamwork and quick professional actions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom