Monterey Wharf 2: Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[video=youtube_share;1tS3mhkgx_I]http://youtu.be/1tS3mhkgx_I[/video]

Batteries died before we got to the really good stuff, D'oh!!!!

Wow, that's some seriously eye-popping 3D, with really brilliant colors too. Nicely done.

Thank you.

Shortly after the batteries died Jak lead us to an electric ray and later, while he was intent on a macro subject two large sea lions tussled over a squid a few feet from Jak's head.

I was too tired to log my dive 'til this morning---bottom timer and computer both showed 80 minutes bottom time & I still had between 1000 and 1500 lbs in my tank!!! 27foot max depth.

The batteries dieing was my own fault. Normally, I hook up the cameras, but don't turn them on 'til I'm about to enter the water. In an email exchange, GoPro recommended powering on the cameras prior to connecting the 3D cable & I gave that a try on this dive. I set up the cameras first, before we suited up, & wasted about half the battery time before we even hit the water. D'oh!

The batteries dieing was my own fault. Normally, I hook up the cameras, but don't turn them on 'til I'm about to enter the water. In an email exchange, GoPro recommended powering on the cameras prior to connecting the 3D cable & I gave that a try on this dive. I set up the cameras first, before we suited up, & wasted about half the battery time before we even hit the water. D'oh!

I'm about to join the GoPro crowd, cyclops-mode only though. That's been one of my lingering questions--can you leave the thing on and not-filming, or is it better to turn it on and off between shots (or use that one-shot mode)? It sounds like from your experience, the batteries drain pretty quickly whenever it's on, regardless of whether it's capturing or not?

The HD2's run for just over 2 hours whether or not you're filming. With a single camera you can turn them on and off to save battery.

I've had problems power cycling the 3D system, though, so turn them on while on dry land. I still use the shutter to start and stop the video clips, but don't power cycle while diving.

The new HD3's have a shorter battery life, but again, with a single camera you can power cycle to conserve the batteries.

Thanks for the info. I think it's going to be one-button mode for me.

Back
Top Bottom