Monterey pics 2/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Starting to sort out pics from the last month or so. Here are a few from February. Conditions have been very mixed, with some really good days intermixed with a lot of stormy weather and surgy, whipped up water full of sand and crud.

Fringehead
Diving2-20-112ShaleIsland043croppsesm.jpg

Sea Nettle with a little hitchhiker
Diving2-22-11TrevorsPinnacle020croppsesm.jpg

Hermit Crab
Diving2-21-111MtChetron012croppsesm.jpg

Male Kelp Greenling
Diving2-21-112outerChase026croppsesm.jpg

Cabezon
Diving2-21-112outerChase015croppsesm.jpg

A little Sculpin
Diving2-21-112outerChase033croppsesm.jpg

great pics Larry. The Hermit and the Blenny are really special.

Were these taken with the D300 or Sp-350?

Thanks Jim, Peter, Lyndon.
great pics Larry. The Hermit and the Blenny are really special.

Were these taken with the D300 or Sp-350?

D300 w/60mm AF-D. The SP is in a drawer and only gets pulled out to loan to my sons or take a quick cute dog pic, and the housing is rotting in its case in my garage. I miss its light weight, compact size and versatility and the ease of taking nice fish portraits, macros and semi-wide shots on the same dive. I don't miss the shutter lag, the slow processing time or the hunting focus on super macro a bit.

Love the pictures of the fringhead. Do you remember what were your dive sites for these pictures.

Thanks Bill & Lord Helmet.
Love the pictures of the fringhead. Do you remember what were your dive sites for these pictures.

The fringehead was on Shale Island. There are several regulars there at various spots, I think this one was on the ledge near our usual anchor point. I'll have a couple of more shots in my next post from this month that I took at the same dive site, but on the knob at the end of the island. They're both little yellowfin fringeheads, and look very similar but live in different holes. The little buggers are all but impossible to spot. You just look in every tiny hole with your flashlight and wait for something that looks like a corynactis anemone but moves in and out of the hole when you shine the light. Fortunately my wife and her 21w reef melting beam are good at spotting them, so I tag along and get the shot. You can find them pretty much anywhere there's a rock reef with little holes to live in. They also like pipes and beer bottles. Once they find a spot, they stay there pretty much forever until they're evicted, so you can go back and find them (if you can see them) again and again.

Very Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Diggy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom