Monterey Pics 11-16-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are a few from Sunday. Beautiful day for diving. 85 degrees and flat water in mid November. No green layer, flat ocean. Two dives off Aumentos, first one on a little rock in the middle of the sand highlighted by three visits at 85' from a not at all shy young female Sea Lion. She parked in the sand about 7 feet away and barked continuously each time. A little too far and a little cloudy for good pictures, but backscatter notwithstanding I included her in the set.

PB160004-03sm.jpg

PB160005-02sm.jpg

Mating Spanish Shawls
PB160003-01cropsm.jpg

A little bit of Sole
PB160013-01cropsm.jpg

Second dive, Trevors Pinnacle

Cute little Hermit Crab & Friend (look lower rt.)
PB160019-01cropsm.jpg

Painted Greenling with Corynactis and Metridium Anemones
PB160030-01sm.jpg

Very nice. I still have not made it up there to do some diving. Hopefully one of these days.

That looks like a once in a lifetime encounter (or at least for me) Larry. It is too bad you cannot also post her bark :D.

Larry - The pictures are beautiful. THANK YOU for posting and sharing them with us.

Very nice. I still have not made it up there to do some diving. Hopefully one of these days.

It's just a few hundred miles up the coast! What are you waiting for? (Bring a 7mil or a dry suit, it's about 10 degrees cooler than you'll get down there)

That looks like a once in a lifetime encounter (or at least for me) Larry. It is too bad you cannot also post her bark :D.
The barking was hilarious. She just kept her mouth open and went at it for the whole visit each time. First time, Carol didn't see her and was looking around to see if I was making all that racket. She said it sounded like someone saying "Hey!Hey!Hey!Hey!" The other thing was, with our buddy John on one side shooting pictures and I on the other, she said it looked like the young starlet was surrounded by Paparazzi.

Thanks Samantha!
Dude! nice shots. I see my ability to plan poorly and miss the good conditions in our own back yard is still in peak form.

:shakehead: We've carefully scheduled our travel to Monterey for ALL the blown out weekends and until this one, missed ALL of the good days in the last month and a half.
OTOH since we both work weekdays, every weekend I listen to fabulous reports of 50 foot vis on Wednesday, Tuesday or whatever. Murphy's Law, divers addendum, whatever day you have off of work and can get to the water will always be the day of 10 foot waves and a red tide. The best day to dive is always yesterday.
"You should have been here man! It was great!"

Great shots Larry. I love the sea lion!!

I was diving from shore Sunday. Conditions at McAbee were nice, but not near that nice. Boat diving is definitely the way to go.

Awesome shots! Sea Lions are always a fun experience! Thanks for sharing!

I love 'em, Larry. West coast diving looks great, but I'm afraid the water is just too cold for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom