Monterey Gear Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghost68:
Thank you everyone that has commented so fast!

I know I will be warmer in a drysuit, but add undergarments and training and I am looking at investing upwards of $1500 in one piece of really sweet gear. Now add a regulator and a computer im well over $2500 and Im still left wanting a bp/w.

I decided that it would be better to invest in a manufactured wetsuit for now. I would love to have a custom suit but $500 plus tax is a bit out of my price range. My next investment is a regulator / computer which I am not looking forward to renting until late next sumer but I have accepted that I will have to while I save to buy one. Same with a bcd I need one but there are priorities before that. Now add that I am turning my girlfriend on to diving and that everything I buy I will eventually have to buy 2 of.....

Please help me decide on boots gloves and a vest!!!

There are ways around the price aspect. A drysuit (new) can be had for around 400.00. Dacor suit closeouts were offered at the price. Check archives under hot deals etc. Some of the stock Bare units are in the 500-700 range news. Underwear? I use old polypro. , or fleece as underwear. Sometimes I use a wool sweater. I also use the expensive stuff, but sometimes I find my homemade underwater just as capable and versatile. Additionally, the shelf life of a drysuit will often exceed the lifespan of a neoprene wetsuit. I have had suits last as long as 16 years.

Historically, in the olden days there was no drysuit training to speak of. I learned from and with folks who were trying them for the first time. There were a lot of upside-down adventures. I guess what I am saying is that it isn't all that hard, nor need to be costly.

Regulators? Computers. Personally, I don't much care for computers as they always go funny. Believe me...they do. I have six, or seven sitting in my office. The most dependable setup is to use a depth/timer like the Uwatec and write down tables on Wetnotes. Very cheap, very dependable. Regulators can be pricey. However, sales abound. Apeks are nice units. Reasonable too.

BP and wings. Used a Hammerhead plate and check Ebay for sales on wings. As these things evolve people often unload their perfectly fine models for the newest hot rod.

Again, I stress comfort, longevity and safety - that comes in the form of a drysuit.

I have the Henderson Gold Core 5mm gloves and love the fact that they dry out so fast. The gold core lining drys out a lot faster than your normal neoprene gloves. My daughter has some boots that also has some kind a titanium lining, and they dry out a lot faster than my plain-old neoprene boots. So the lining is the key thing I will be looking for in future gloves and boots purchases.

Regarding the gloves, the 5mm gloves keeps my hand nice and warm. However, it's thick enough that it makes it difficult to clear the mask skirt from my hood. I am seriously debating on going with 3mm gloves. I wish I could find 2mm gloves with a good wrist seal to minimize water exchange.

Last - I hate gauntlet type gloves. I see no purpose in gauntlet gloves.

Minh

For gloves get the deep sea gloves. They're actually a dry glove, but they keep water exchange to a minimum and are quite warm. Get them from your local aqualung dealer, or from www.techdivinglimited.com Call them up for prices, but about $40 or so.

http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/dry_comfort.html

Save up for a drysuit. You'll be happier in the long run if you plan on diving Monterey frequently.

LDS quoted me $30 for the deep see gloves... But I cant try them on until I pay for them and they arrive because they are a special order item... :/

On a side note any other dry glove reccomendations?
Also anyone use Tilos Boots? LDS says they wear out quickly... So I might end up coughing up the extra cash for the bare boots...

Once again thanks in advance everyone
-Dustin

I Ghost68. What I would do is this......I would not buy anything til you got here. Then maybe look into renting out some of the wetsuits you are interested in. Or even just trying them on. I would also try on a drysuit just so you know what you are looking at as well. I have a dry suit and hope to never dawn a wetsuit again, but it was expensive. Between Bamboo Reef, Aquarius, & MBDC (monterey bay dive center) you are bound to get what you are looking for. Also I suggest trying on the drysuit because they are a totally different feel. After dawning a wetsuit and then a drysuit I knew I did not even want to spend the money on a wetsuit and buy a dry suit. Then I just rented the wetsuit til it got here.

Otter Bay is a great place to get wetsuits and they also make drysuits as well. Cricket & Jeff are great people. They might also be able to help you decide.

I would just try on a bunch of suits to see what you like and ask questions. Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions.

I live here in Monterey as well. You will love it here. It is a really great place to live and we are so lucky to have what we have in our back yard.

I dove Monterrey in winter in a XCEL Polar Quad Density 8/7/6/5, and survived. I was colder after the dive, than during it. I also use the same suit in San Diego in 50-60 degree water. Can definately recommend it, the integrated hood makes a big difference.

http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/05dive/home.html

Monterey/Carmel is my "local" diving, and I've been doing alright with an XS Scuba 7mm, Deep See 3mm gloves and boots, and my dad's old 3mm hood.

I recently upgraded to an Aquaflex 6mm hooded-vest, and man is it comfy - in water and out.

I concur with ShakaZulu - I'm colder before and after the dives than I am during. Especially in Carmel (Monastery is a cold beach...).

Hi. I used to DM shore dives around Monterrey on weekends. Temps are around low-mid 50's in summer and upper 40's in winter on shore dives. I used a Bare Arctic 7mm Neoprene plus the matching Bare Arctic 7mm hooded vest. The latter was called a vest, but actually went down to the hips to greater warmth. I used Bare 7mm booties - as someone said, has injection-molded soles, great for the walk to the water. I used Deep Sea 5mm neoprene gloves. This set up worked well for me all year. You may need a dry suit for deeper dives as temps were in the mid-40's at 60-100 ft in winter. You should check out Point Lobos State Park - great shore diving, but you'll have to make reservations.
If you need to repair your wetsuit, a good place in Monterrey is Otter Bay wetsuits, on Hoffman Ave. They sell wetsuits too.
Dive safely.

Ok just an update, I decided to get the Velocity 7/6 wetsuit and changed the fins the the apollo bio fin pro XTs. Also today I ordered the Arctic vest to complement the wetsuit... Divetank gave me a killer deal on the vest so we will see how it goes... I am also purchasing the DeepSee dry gloves someone reccomended to me earlier in this thread... now for the boots.... LDS can get the gloves no problem

ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH TILOS BOOTS??? The gold core hard sole ones...

Also on a side note scubatoys kinda dropped the ball on sending me the gear that I purchased... I ordered the day after thanksgiving... wetsuit wasnt in stock... Then when it came in the fins I payed for were sold... Nothing shipped on time :/ I'll probably shop with them again, after the amount of money I saved on the wetsuit and fins I cant exactly complain about gear taking a couple weeks to be delivered... oh and the phone support was really good... I do feel like they went out of their way to fix the problem... Will report on Divetank when I recieve everything from them...

EvaL:
Hi. I used to DM shore dives around Monterrey on weekends. Temps are around low-mid 50's in summer and upper 40's in winter on shore dives. I used a Bare Arctic 7mm Neoprene plus the matching Bare Arctic 7mm hooded vest. The latter was called a vest, but actually went down to the hips to greater warmth. I used Bare 7mm booties - as someone said, has injection-molded soles, great for the walk to the water. I used Deep Sea 5mm neoprene gloves. This set up worked well for me all year. You may need a dry suit for deeper dives as temps were in the mid-40's at 60-100 ft in winter. You should check out Point Lobos State Park - great shore diving, but you'll have to make reservations.
If you need to repair your wetsuit, a good place in Monterrey is Otter Bay wetsuits, on Hoffman Ave. They sell wetsuits too.
Dive safely.

Actually water temps in Monterey are bit warmer in the winter and colder in the summer. Agree on Otter Bay... seems like everyone has their hoods
46042_st.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom