Monterey Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v--Locke--v

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to go to NorCal the first full week in October. I have done some research for Monterey and see there are plenty of boats going out over the weekend, If I were to arrive on a Friday I could find a boat to take for Sat and Sun, but what about the rest of the week? I will be traveling alone. Any suggestions for a place to stay with a rinse station? Any other tricks? I'll need to rent weights and tanks. Doubles would be nice to rent as well if possible. Any other suggestions on Diving near-ish to San Fransisco?

thanks,
Jeff

There are sometimes friendly Friday charters with Cypress Sea, all the usual boats run on Sat. / Sun. I don't know of any shops in the area that rent doubles, and most of the charter boats provide tanks as part of the fee.

thanks! that's what it looked like. Anyone else have any hints?

Lone Oak Lodge is a diver friendly motel. I haven't stayed there but they have rise stations and places to hang wet gear.

Monterey Express sent out an email last month that they might try some midweek charters in the near future.

I second the recommendation for the Lone Oak. I stayed there for the weekend of my OW and the weekend of my AOW. They have a hot tub too which is really nice after some cold water dives.
As far as boat charters, out here I know of the Escapade, Cypress Sea, Monterey Express and the Beach Hopper II.
I just did a websearch for the Beach Hopper and they have several mid-week dives. If you get the opportunity to do a Point Lobos Reserve dive take it, I hear it's awesome.
Where are you visiting from?

There's LOTS of good shore diving there, too.

If you don't have cold water experience, you may wish to hire a guide for aocal
orientation. Try www.robsscuba.com, for example.

Posted via Mobile Device

Agree with Fisheater. The shore dives here are phenomenal, and on weekdays you'll have fewer other divers to deal with :) It should be pretty easy to get into Point Lobos as well (you'd need reservations on weekends). You can post a thread here indicating your experience level and that you're seeking mid-week buddies to dive with; I know there are quite a few here with regular schedules and who don't need their arm twisted much to make a weekday dive :)

Back
Top Bottom