Monterey Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a small ikelite just incase there is not enough light to see my compass and spg.

We took the Raider I, Raider III, and a Salvo 10 watt HID outside tonight. The Raider III hands down has the brightest center spot. The HID still can not be beat, but the Raider III is darn close.

For Chuck the Raider III offers a great safety feature with a built in strobe feature and also including the SOS signal. That is the reason I now own one, since I already have a 21 watt HID and a Photon Torpedo for a backup.

I <3 my 21w Salvo HID :wink: :p.

I also have a smaller LED backup light its an Intova, and I have some OMS powder substance that not only makes the water redish/orange but it is fluorescent or some such at night. I only really carry it for night dives other than the breakwater wall, and would in serious boat diving. Id hate to use it and make my drysuit glow in the dark though, id never hear the end of that! :wink:

Then take a look at the new Oxycheq Raider III :shocked: It has a really hot spot and I am a light snob. Plus for under $200 with a sock it is a steal.
For $200 it would have to be a steal! :wink:
As much as I love good engineering, the $25 lights seem good enough for what I need for day dives. Now, night dives are a whole 'nother thing.

As much as I love good engineering, the $25 lights seem good enough for what I need for day dives. Now, night dives are a whole 'nother thing.

When comparing it to a $500 can light, yeah $200 is cheap. Everyone's needs are different. That is why living in a country with many choices is really nice :D

Actually, I will propose exactly the opposite. At night, pretty much any light will be effective for signalling. On the otherhand, really bright high-viz days requires quite a bit of oomph for a light to be effective as a communication tool. Just another way of looking at it...

Actually, I will propose exactly the opposite. At night, pretty much any light will be effective for signalling. On the otherhand, really bright high-viz days requires quite a bit of oomph for a light to be effective as a communication tool. Just another way of looking at it...
I was thinking about overall use - for night it makes sense to spend more for a bigger light with a broader beam, at least for what I like to do. For day use the focussed beam seems more useful for signalling and lighting up objects. Whether $200 or $25 pays for what you need depends on a few factors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom