Monterey/Carmel wetsuit, boots and gloves advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz

Reaction score
Hi,

I started diving in Monterey/Carmel Bay, CA area last weekend. I rented Xcel 7mm fullsuit + hooded vest (I guess it was 5/3) and bought 3mm XS Scuba gloves. I had my own booties which I previosly used in tropical waters, and I guess they are 3mm. I was OK on the body in 50-54 degrees, but my feet and hands got cold after around 30 minutes in water. What would be you suggestions for boots, gloves and wetsuit? Will hooded jumpsuit work the best here?

TIA.

If you're going to stick with the wetsuit, make sure it fits TIGHTLY. (I used a 7mm with a 5/3 hooded vest for my first hundred and something dives, then broke down and bought a drysuit.) Buy the thickest booties you can (7mm) with some sort of insulation flap behind the zippers -you'll know when you start looking at some different styles.
For gloves, I'd be very tempted to get these.
http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/dry_comfort.html
Sure, they're marketed as drysuit gloves, but pay no attention to that. In your case they'd be way warmer than wet gloves. They fit tight and are waterproof -meaning they'll keep water exchange to a minimum.

You'll want at least 7mm, all around, although I do fine with 3mm gloves. I wouldn't want more than 5mm gloves, else you can barely move! If you're prone to cold, you could consider a 3-5mm hooded vest over the 7mm suit, to keep your core warmer.

As for recommendations, I've been very happy with my Henderson InstaDry, but if I had it to do over again, I might consider the Xcel SCS Polar (9/7/6) or Titanium Polar (8/7/6/5) wetsuits with integrated hoods. The people in those suits are the ones I see continuing to dive, even when the rest of the wet crowd threw in the towel, keeping up with the dry folks in 49/50 degree water.

hey Dan, how much for those gloves?

Katz:
How about Pinnacle? And what is the best place to buy Xcel wetsuit in Bay Area or online?
I've heard some very good things about Pinnacle's merino wool-lined suits, but I haven't seen anyone actually wearing one, so it's hard to say with any certainty.

As for Xcel, there is a dealer locator on their website. I don't know the bay area dive shops well enough to advise you, and I can't recall seeing them online, tho they may very well be.

http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/05dive/home.html

Katz:
How about Pinnacle? And what is the best place to buy Xcel wetsuit in Bay Area or online?

What city in the Bay area?

The shop in Concord off of railroad stocks a good amount of Xcel

6.5mm DeepSea Farmer Johns
5/3mm DeepSea Hood
5mm Scubapro Boots
5mm cheap brandless gloves

Yup that was my kit when i dived Monteray.

I suppose you might want more protection for your gloves/boots. They really freeze up! And as mentioned, stay with a 5mm glove ahahaaa, i already had trouble with my dive comp buttons in those gloves!

Ben_ca:
What city in the Bay area?

The shop in Concord off of railroad stocks a good amount of Xcel
I'm in Sunnyvale/Redwood City, but I can go to Concord if the price is right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom