Monterey, CA.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BILLB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a business trip to California and will be diving with a group called Cypress Charters. I will be diving 9 and 10 march. Has anyone been diving with this boat? Any experience on what to expect in Monterey, CA? Yea, I know the water is cold (just did some dives to the Channel Islands in January). What about Kelp (none near Anacapa Islands)? Wildlife (the sea dwelling type)?

Thanks!

All i know it what i hear, and its all good! i live in a few hrs south of there, have yet to make it up there. I am going up that way in june so i just might have to take my gear!

If you remember to, pls post about your experience, i would love to hear about it.

TMD

Hi BILLB,

I live in San Francisco and haved dived Monterey a few times, but only from shore. I've heard of Cypress Charters, but have no feedback to offer you. On the critter side of things though, expect to see lots of harbour seals and sea lions! They're everywhere. Also sea otters, but they're less common (only seen one so far). I did see a pod of dolphins today, but not while diving. Ling cod, cabezon, and rockfish are the main biggish fish you'll see near kelp, and probably lots of bright orange garibaldis (spelling ?). There is also a wide range of invertebrates such as nudibranches (although still looking for them), and a dozen or so different species of starfish you see everywhere. Keep and eye out for seaweed covered "rocks" that suddenly grow legs and scuttle off - they're decorator crabs. Usually lots of interesting fishies to see all around and in the kelp. If you see any rocky outcrops while diving - head over to them - that's where you'll find the most life. Take a decent light as well - heaps of goodies live in the crevisses and overhangs, and it helps you keep track of your buddy(s) in the gloomy kelp.

Lonely Planet have a bog-handy dive guide called "Monterey Peninsula and Northern California" which covers most of the good sites in Carmel and Monterey, plus required experience ratings, and what critters you are likely to see.

I did see a shark today on a dive - I think it was a leopard shark but my dive buddy reckons it wasn't (but couldn't supply an alternative ID). Only 3 feet long anyway, so it was just a cool addition to the dive.

Ben

The Monterey area has some very nice kelp forests. Ditto on rockfish, lingcod and otters. I was surprised to hear that you didn't come across any kelp forests on your Anacapa trip.

Thanks guys for the feedback on diving Monterey. I am looking forward to the Kelp diving. Back In Jan when I dove with the Peace boat, Anacapa on the East side had only a few strands. The DM believes it was decimated by the last El Nino. I did get to play with the harbor seals and saw plenty of starfish and some garabaldi's.

I always dive with a light for the reasons mentioned (sea life under rocks, Etc.). I also dive dry so I will be down as long as the small steel 80's the boat provides will last me.

What deeps are to be expected? Anybody need a dive buddy on 9 and 10 March (wife will not make it this time)?

Was just in Monterey this past weekend (Feb. 7-10) and my husband dove (I was working). Water temp was 45 at depth. Right now, due to the cold, there is very little kelp. Vis ranges from 0 feet up to around 60 feet, depending on conditions (wind, surge, etc), and can change dramatically in just a few minutes. Cypress is a nice boat, I believe they also go to Point Lobos on Thursdays. I don't know their website off hand, but I believe they have one.

Monterey diving can be incredible. The otters have been decreasing in number, as have sea lions (they can get quite aggressive, so be prepared. I had one grabbing my fin and nibbling and didn't realize it until my husband pointed behind me, and I turned to see this incredible creature "smiling" at me. During mating and/or pup season they can get quite aggressive and have been known to "charge" divers who get too close.) The sand dollar fields are really a trip -- I had only seen "dead" ones before diving, so I didn't know what I was seeing until we returned to the boat and I asked. All these little round thingys in a row ... also metridium (I think that is correct spelling) fields, strawberry anenomes, ling cod, octopus, and the kelp -- when it is there.

Usually if you are solo, you will get assigned a buddy on board. Be sure you are comfortable diving in COLD water and definitely bring a dive light. Dive depths depend on the rest of the people on the boat and conditions. Usual dives when Advanced are all on boat is 90+ feet for first dive and around 75 for second. If only OW on boat, will go to dive sites more in the 60 foot range.

If you want more details, let me know and I can find the websites for you.

Regards,
Margaret

Thanks Margeret!

Fortunately, I will be diving dry. 45 degree water is not unsual here in PA. Sounds like a fun dive.

http://www.cypresscharters.com

This is the link I have found. Thanks again for the report.

I did my OW I & II certification in Monterey back in 1998. Average visibility in April was between 12-20 ft. and in June was between 8-15 ft. Water was actually warmer in April than it was in June.

I try and keep in touch with the group I certified with. They indicated that right now the water is the clearest it's been in 15 years.

One of the interesting things I remember were the metridium fields - large white blossoms. I definitely agree on the value of having a light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom