Monterey/Breakwater Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whew! That would be scary. I think it would be fairly easy to get seperated on a night dive there, it's kinda gloomy there in the daytime even isn't it? It was when I went, I couldn't see more than 5'. Nope, no night dives at LJS for me....

Yeah, the vis was around 8ft. I turned away from my buddies for a second and couldn't find their lights again. I was a new diver with only about 25 dives under my belt, with only 5 of them cold water/low vis too.
eek.gif

But we did an early morning dive there the next day and it was a great dive.

Break Water can have days with beautiful visibility. Here is a quick video I took last year on December 2nd...

View My Video[/URL]

I got back last week from Breakwater. I found the metridium, no problem - thanks for the directions, they were right on! I saw a bat ray on my way out, it was near the pipe and just flapping along. The dolphins were there twice but I wasn't suited up in time to get in the water with them:depressed:

BTW qazdec, you were asking about how difficult it is to dive Breakwater; a guy broke his ankle while we were there. His buddy said he was just coming in from a dive and got near the shore (on the side near the parking lot where most people enter/exit) and he must have dropped something and when he bent down to retrieve it a wave pushed him off balance and he put his weight down wrong on his foot. That is the second person I have heard of breaking a foot or ankle exiting from a dive there. I think it's because the sand forms 'humps' or ridges close to shore that can trip you up. So when diving there, even though it's a pretty mild place to dive difficulty-wise, watch your exit:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom