Monterey/Breakwater Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qazdec

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,

I am not sure if this goes here, so if it gets moved, oh well.

So I just completed my PADI certification this weekend at Breakwater in Monterey, CA. I have two questions. First, relative to other dive sites how tough or difficult is it? Obviously visibility isn't that good, but what about other factors? Next, do any of you have pictures of the underwater life around there, specifically the Matridium Fields? My family asked over and over about what I saw, and it would be so much easier to show a picture. Obviously, it wouldn't be exactly what I saw.

Thanks for the input!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to NorCal...

Congrats! Viz at Breakwater may not great during class. However, don't use OW class to judge the rest of Monterey and Carmel.

ColdWaterKitty is a great blog (plus pictures) about MoCal diving.

Vis there may not be as bad as you think. I'm willing to bet that your classmates and the other OW classes were kicking up a storm of silt/sand.

It is surprising. Everybody says that the visibility is awful, the water is freezing, and there isn't much to see at Breakwater. Granted, it is the only place I've been to, but I didn't find any of the above true.

Glad to hear that! I'm constantly finding new and exciting things during Breakwater dives. It may not be Point Lobos, but I'm never disappointed to be diving at BW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom