Monterey AOW Cert 9/4-9/5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenaxia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Whew.... Just got back from Monterey. Two rather interesting days and now I am AOW certified though after taking the class I've come to realize that really doesn't mean much. Next up is Nitrox before my liveaboard in December!

What I've learned from the class:
1. I need a drysuit because I'm a pansy
2. I can't add and therefore can't navigate
3. Night dives are awesome.
4. Having to look after a buddy who is completely uncomfortable at depth is more stressful than I realized and makes navigating and buoyancy countrol much more difficult.
5. Did I mention I need a dry suit?
6. Jellyfish suck.
7. LP 95's have horrible trim compared to HP100's
8. Apparently I get sea sick when inhaling diesel fumes, go figure.

It's been so long since I've done any kind of math in my head that, during our square pattern navigavtion portion at Lover's 3, I managed to figure out that 60* + 90* = 240*.... we ended up doing the square at the wrong angle, but would've completed it if my buddy hadn't freaked out and surfaced. In the end though, its a good thing he did, he was down to 200 PSI when we surfaced. His consumption was more than 3x what mine was, not to mention its more like his weights were filled with helium as he kept rising to the surface while swimming, but insisted he didn't need more weight. More than once I heard his computer start blaring at him because he was surfacing too fast...

The night dive was pretty awesome too, managed to see 4 octopii and some sort of huge fish, probably around 1m long. It's so much easier to keep track of your buddy when you can see their beam instead of having to look for them. The bioluminescence was pretty cool too.

Our deep dive was down to 86'. We had pretty amazing visibility of about 40ft down there, definitely impressive. Ended coming up far from my NDL with half of my tank left because all the other students were sucking down their air. My buddy actually hit 1000PSI (planned ascension pressure) and also freaked out, he started dumping his air and looked like he was about to bolt. I had to grab him and practically drag him to the anchor line so we could surface according to plan. During our safety stop, two huge sea nettles (read 0.5m wide bells) got tangled on the anchor line and the person below me nearly swung both of them into me when they were flailing on the anchor line, I swear, I thought I was going to die...

Either way, it was a rather small class. With only 4 people the instructor and a dive master. Even then though, there were only 4 of us, I didn't really get any instruction time because the other three people had some serious work to do with not only their skills but also their comfort levels in the water.

I think the thing that surprised me the most though, was during our night dive, my instructor straight up told us not to swim behind them because they would be "kicking up a lot of sand." I suppose everyone has their own priorities, but one of the first things I learned to do after getting my buoyancy trimmed in was how to not silt when bottom swimming. He's definitely a good instructor for OW and for people who need some more work on basic skills especially 1:1 attention, but I feel that in terms of advanced skills, he's not used to teaching to that audience.

I have someone to take nitrox from but I'll probably be looking for a new instructor, probably tech oriented, for specialties and for rescue in the future.

Sorry you had such an experience.

I can recommend Don Chennavasin (ae3753) as an instructor. You won't have any complaints, and I can guarantee you that you can swim right behind Don any time (having done this in a number of caves :) ).

Sorry you had such an experience.

I can recommend Don Chennavasin (ae3753) as an instructor. You won't have any complaints, and I can guarantee you that you can swim right behind Don any time (having done this in a number of caves :) ).

I wouldn't say it was so horrible that I regret it. In fact, if anything, I should probably appreciate the opportunity to feel a small glimpse of the havoc that task loading can do to your skills at depth. I was more afraid that someone was going to get hurt than anything else.

I had a chance to talk with Don briefly, and he mentioned he may be up for a dive this October, need to check with him again, but yeah when I start looking at more classes again, will definitely give him a ping.

It's been so long since I've done any kind of math in my head that, during our square pattern navigavtion portion at Lover's 3, I managed to figure out that 60* + 90* = 240*.... we ended up doing the square at the wrong angle

I'm not sure what compass you have, but one of mine has all four cardinal directions marked on the card. For square searches, this lets me set it correctly for my initial direction, then instead of doing any math I just line up the west of the card with the indicator on the bezel instead of north, then at the next turn I line south up with the "north" indicator, etc.

I also dislike jellyfish.

Phil Sammet was my nitrox instructor, you'll need the technical diving international book from aws, he's a great instructor, a tech guy, and always made me feel safe when diving off the cypress sea. I had a 1:1 class with him. Sign up through aws.
Any of the tech divers out here can tell you how good capt. Phil is.

Phil Sammet was my nitrox instructor, you'll need the technical diving international book from aws, he's a great instructor, a tech guy, and always made me feel safe when diving off the cypress sea. I had a 1:1 class with him. Sign up through aws.
Any of the tech divers out here can tell you how good capt. Phil is.
Phil was my Nitrox instructor, back about 1997. I'm an engineer,
so the theory was easy for me, but he was really good at explaining
it to the nontechnical folkss.

Ditto the Phil recommendation, he did my advanced nitrox and deco procedures course. He explains things in a really understandable, but not too basic way. Plus he's a fun guy to dive with!

If you're into tech and want to go DIR, you can get your nitrox cert through a GUE Fundamentals class and learn a lot more besides. Rob Lee does a great job at that.

Not sure your dive count now but I'd suggest slowing down on the classes now and just diving a bit.

Experience is what counts and you can better understand the class issues after some of your own experience with them.

Actually, as a potential dive buddy on the Channel Islands trip, Mike, I have to disagree with Shasta_man. You're going to appreciate extending your bottom time by approx. 20% by getting the nitrox cert. 6 dives a day, you need to watch your NDLs and O2 sat carefully, make sure you have a good nitrox compatible computer to take with you.
I'm considering retaking my drysuit class to get my cert so I can rent a drysuit for the trip. Water temp isn't gonna be much different, but after you get out, I'm thinking I would probably appreciate being dry.
Keep diving until then, you know I'm available often to get out diving with you.

Back
Top Bottom