Monsoons in January in Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccxx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be doing 3 days 2 nights onboard TAKA with Deep Sea Divers Den at the end of January 2014. What are the chances of a monsoon?
I live in south Florida so we're used to hurricane warnings but we had none this year. Same deal? Also, does anyone know if there are
electrical converters onboard TAKA to recharge AA batteries for camera strobes? Thanks. :cool2:

Well, as Wingy confirms, it's certainly cyclone season. Most liveaboard operators up there will tell you that they hardly had to actually cancel any trips in XX decades. There can be rain though, and a change of itinerary if a big one spins up in the wrong place. You should be able to get a discount voucher if that happens, not sure how useful that will be to you.

230v 50Hz electical outlets in cabins and main saloon on Taka. Make sure your charger is compatible before lugging it around the world. The operator rents out cameras and strobes so will have a method of charging AA cells, but don't rely on being able to use that.

Good news! I've been informed by Deep Sea Divers Den that OceanQuest has been put back into service
to replace TAKA, which is being moved to 4 day Ribbon Reefs trips as of Dec 16. Awesome!
And I did purchase 2 step down voltage converters with adapters so I can recharge my strobe batteries and plug the camera battery charger in as well. All set for a great trip.....the countdown is now down
to 61 days.

only 10 days to go.......I'm hoping Tropical Cyclone Ian takes a turn way to the south before I get there.....

Last edited:
oy,oy,oy.....she'll be right! I just want Tropical Cyclone Ian to go away. We're headed to Sydney on Thursday for an 8 day cruise then to Cairns for diving
for 4 days. Yeah, she'll be right. Looks like the weather is the same as here in Miami....but maybe hotter.

If you have time, go for a dive in sydney as well. Even training sites like Shelly Beach I'm always proud to take visitors to.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

back from Australia....and Tropical Cyclone Dylan. Who knew? The liveaboard was cancelled for the week.
They refunded our money but to go all that way .... just to run into a cyclone. We left Cairns the day
Dylan was to make landfall since most tourist attractions were closing up. Then Dylan turned south and
spared Cairns but by then it was too late - we were already on our way back to the US. Oh well. We had a great time while we were there. Loved the people there - so friendly and 'no worries'.

Back
Top Bottom