Monkey Diving - DIR ?

Is Monkey Diving Considered DIR ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 78.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it might not necessarily be 100% DIR, I don't really see a problem with it, if done by knowledgeable competent divers in a non-overhead relatively shallow environment. If I recall, the video of AG and crew doing that was somewhere in the tropics...
In a situation such as that, what's wrong with cutting loose every now and then? :D I think it would be a blast.

dlndavid:
what's DIR ? :wink:

It probably comes down to the answer to this question.

I don't think that the activity is DIR ... but I'm fairly certain that the choice of terminology for it is .. :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is it DIR? Probably not in the strictest sense of the word. You could use the DIR arguement that if you dont need it dont take it, applies to wings and other devices

Did they think out the failure scenarios? absolutely. They are also in pretty shallow water.

Would I do it? Nope. I dont have the experience they do. Would rather just stick to a more traditional single tank setup

"Monkey Diving" does not = no BC in all cases. If you are in warm water with no exposure suit, and a buoyant tank why what purpose does a BC serve?

If you have an exposure suit and larger cylinder some sort of BC would be prudent.

The "Monkey Rig" does not preclude the use of a canister light.

The "Monkey Rig" does not preclude team diving. Keeping the team in contact is more challenging with a scooter, but that's true with a BP&W also.

The "Monkey Rig" does not preclude the donation from the mouth, and allows a bungeed backup, both in compliance with DIR guidelines.

The "Monkey Rig" does not preclude using larger cylinders. A "side mounted" AL80 is very streamlined, and in compliance with DIR guidelines regarding stages. Do "DIR" divers routinely scooter while breathing from a slung 80?

We have prototyped a "Monkey Diving" BC that offers 8 lbs of lift, and closely mimics a Hogarthian harness. This enough lift for modest exposure suits. A 3 mm wetsuit and slung Al 80 with a few lbs of lead is a "balanced" rig.

How does this differ from a "DIR" compliant BP&W?

No backplate, the 80's is slung, and the harness has some sewn components.

Would I recommend this configuration for inexperienced divers? No, but I would not recommend a scooter for newbies either.

Would I consider it for any type of overhead? No, but there's no single rig I would take in an overhead. Monkey diving should be limited to shallow depths and good conditions IMO.

Is it possible to use a "Monkey Rig" in a unsafe manner, i.e. solo, overweighted, without a dive plan or insufficent training or support for the conditions? Sure, but that's true for a backplate and wing also.

Keep in mind my comments are specifically about the rig we have developed, i.e. small BC and slung AL80.

Monkey diving is not DIR, no doubt, and I'll not argue that it is, but many of the same principles can be applied.

Within the limits I've stated, a unified team, sufficent gas for the conditions, back up regs and long hose (5 ft) primaries, canister lights for communication, a balanced rig, with sufficent lift for the job, adequate training and adequate support (chase boat) what are the specific problems that you see?

Tobin

I dont know if its DIR, but its the most fun Ive ever had on a scooter :)

I have never found it unsafe, just like almost anything, you can take it too far, but in shallow water, man its fun, maybee Ill go monkey diving this afternoon.

thank goodness they are discovering some freedom

way to go...

You can see his chest better?

can I say that in here?

beautiful shot, too, with the surface reflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom