Money in Fiji and Tonga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klp5

Registered
Reaction score
Hi- We are headed to Beqa Lagoon Resort for a short week and then on to Tonga- staying at Mounu Island.
Just wondering about cash. Are US dollars accepted in either place? I thought I remembered reading about people using US in Fiji?
Are NZ dollars accepted in Tonga? Not sure I can get TOP or Fijian dollars here at home.
Thanks in advance for your help,
kristy

hey kristy, US dollars accepted pretty much everywhere! Beqa will happily take US or just put everything on your credit card?! Easy to change US dollars for local currency at Beqa and I presume in Tonga. No one will argue although the exchange rate might not be that favorable. hope this helps!

Hi
Resorts will take credit cards and $US as will dive operators. Shops, taxis and restaurants on the whole don't, but as you are at Beqa Lagoon Resort, there aren't any of those :) There is an ATM at the airport and it may be handy to have a few $FJ for incidentals and purchases from the villagers if you choose on Beqa. Say about FJ$200 would be more than enough I think.
People don't generally tip in Fiji, but if you wanted to, local currency is much better. The average daily wage for a local resort worker is around $30 (US$17)
Greg

Tongans at resorts or larger stores may take US dollars, in Tongatapu cabs etc will also except them but not at a great rate. Change will commonly be in Pa'anga. Pa'anga are difficult to find/exchange in the US, I usually get some in Fiji before heading off to Tonga. I keep my Tongan cash to the minimum since there are few places that will change them at anything like their value outside of Tonga.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom