Monday's (1/5) Maui dive pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa,
I just noticed that you do (did) have the 5050. It has a slave mode setting on it so as to be able to use a strobe w/o the internal flash. Ask Dee about it and if it works on 'super macro'. You posted you are getting another 5050 so a strobe down the road will work for you.

My buddies and their wives returned to the mainland last weekend. They were pretty bummed about the weather and only got a few dives in the week that they were there. They did return with some interesting stores about MDS -- OOA situation with a 12 year-old who likely got a short filled tank that my buddy had pointed out to the DM when he first was steup with it -- and a DM who went so fast through Molokini that my buddy was only able to take 2 pics. I guess things have changed at MDS over the last year or so.

Keep diving and posting those great pics.

As soon as I get the new camera I'll check the settings for it. Thanks for the help.

Great touch ups! I have the elements version, I guess I have a little more work ahead of me.
Lisa

Otter,
The weather here over the past week was terrible. Sorry to hear your friends had a bum time.
I don't send people to MDS (Maui Dive Shop). Their gear rental prices are high, if not the highest, around. They are a tourist oriented business with a chain of shops around the island. They do their second boat dive at '5 Caves' which I consider to be a shore dive. They spend a lot on advertising.
One of the only things that they price well is air fills. For that, I go to them with my two tanks, as I live across the street from one of their stores and they are open early and late. They are the only boat operator that does a guaranteed 'Back Wall' Molokini dive. It is a pricey 1 tank dive with an incentive to go back out for the regular 2 tank dive.
Sooooo many dive boat guides zip through the dives. You would think they get paid by the amount of square feet they cover. Instead they screw themselves out of good tips.

I agree with Gilligan on MDS.

For a local dive shop, you can't beat Maui Dreams in Kihei. They don't have a boat but they are the best! That's where I get my tanks filled. Tank rentals with a 10 tank card are only $3 and fills are $2.30 (or something close). They open at 7 and close at 6. They are ecologically minded and really friendly. Nitrox too!

I have no affiliation with them except as a happy customer.

Gilligan:
Otter,
The weather here over the past week was terrible. Sorry to hear your friends had a bum time.
I don't send people to MDS (Maui Dive Shop). Their gear rental prices are high, if not the highest, around. They are a tourist oriented business with a chain of shops around the island. They do their second boat dive at '5 Caves' which I consider to be a shore dive. They spend a lot on advertising.
One of the only things that they price well is air fills. For that, I go to them with my two tanks, as I live across the street from one of their stores and they are open early and late. They are the only boat operator that does a guaranteed 'Back Wall' Molokini dive. It is a pricey 1 tank dive with an incentive to go back out for the regular 2 tank dive.
Sooooo many dive boat guides zip through the dives. You would think they get paid by the amount of square feet they cover. Instead they screw themselves out of good tips.

We always bring our own gear, so that wasn't an issue. I love their fast boat over to Molokini, but agree that 5 Caves is a shore dive....First time we were there, we had 7 families and charted the entire boat and got to pick where we wanted....the last time, conditions were so 'bad' that we had to stay at Molokini for both dives...oh darn.

Mu buddy did complain on board and at the shop. He didn't tip AND he got his money back from MDS for the dives, so at least that softened the blow. I am sure, especially with the lack of diving, that he would have preferred they keep the money and he get two good dives....In 02' I left my boys on shore and did the Back Wall alone...well almost alone, there were 2 other paying customers and the rest were MDS employees. Clearly the working crew 'hung' with their friends and the paying customers were a little 'neglected', but the guy they buddied me up with was a good diver and was shooting video as well, so we had a good dive anyway.

Next time we will probably try Mike Severns or Ed Robinsons...I have heard good things about them.

What I really am trying to figure out is how much $$ I need to stick away so I can retire over there and do what you do!

Cheers!

Gilligan:
justleesa,
I just noticed that you do (did) have the 5050. It has a slave mode setting on it so as to be able to use a strobe w/o the internal flash. Ask Dee about it and if it works on 'super macro'. You posted you are getting another 5050 so a strobe down the road will work for you.

The slave mode is located in the menu...
camera/flash/slave/1-10 strength.

Yes, the slave is available but only in Aperture and Manual modes when in Super Macro.

Otter,
Mike Severns, Ed Robinson and B&B Scuba are all good 12 pack boat operators. Another one to keep in mind is a 6 pack boat run by a man named Ron of Dive & Sea Maui He is a good person to talk to if you want to charter is entire boat and call the shots as respects dive sites. I think there are only two (English speaking) 6 packs left. The other is Makena Coast Charters.

Otter:
What I really am trying to figure out is how much $$ I need to stick away so I can retire over there and do what you do!

Cheers!

LOL, looks like he dont want to share that info with us. :) he wants to keep it to himself and i dont blame him.

steve

Back
Top Bottom