Monastery weekend of July 19-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone interested in going diving at Monastery the weekend of July 19-20?
I have done Monastery only three times so far, but I have plenty of experience in the Monterey/Carmel area.

Is there any boundary restrictions between Monastery and Point Lobos? Diving around the corner at Whalers cove requires reservations. My question then really is; can I put my kayak in at South Monastery and paddle around the point to dive the Pit for instance? I would like to assume the reservations are for entering at Whalers Cove.

Is there any boundary restrictions between Monastery and Point Lobos? Diving around the corner at Whalers cove requires reservations. My question then really is; can I put my kayak in at South Monastery and paddle around the point to dive the Pit for instance? I would like to assume the reservations are for entering at Whalers Cove.

There are plenty of places to kayak dive inside Carmel Bay without going into the forbidden (Without Reservations) Lobos Reserve. Carmel River Beach is a better launch site as it is calmer, with Still Water Cove being even smoother, but harder to access due to fees of passing on the 17 mile drive. and Pebble Beach Golf Course.

Boats and kayaks are a great way to dive around Carmel Bay and it is every bit as good of diving as Lobos.

Stillwater looks very enticing. I've paddled around there with my Wife and would love to dive there some time.
Soon.
Thanks for the tip. Do you use a kayak Peter?

I've had many great dives in the area shown below, and I get there by kicking out from S. Monastery. With a kayak, you can save yourself a lot of surface swim time. As you can see, there's plenty of interesting area outside of the reserve boundary. For more info. go to Point Lobos Underwater Maps.
monolobo.jpg

Stillwater looks very enticing. I've paddled around there with my Wife and would love to dive there some time.
Soon.
Thanks for the tip. Do you use a kayak Peter?
Still Water Cove is not the best diving area, but further outside is. Then again diving in a calm safe place, is better than diving in ugly surge. Check out dive sites such as Butterfly House on the outside, Mono Lobo Wall, just to name a couple.

I own a couple of kayaks and use them some for paddling around, but if you glance at my avatar, you may notice my Zodiac is setup for sling launching, and I can beach launch with 19" transom wheels most anywhere that is easily accessible from trailer to ocean (Monastery is not one of those places). I have kayak dove from South Monastery on a milder day and it was a blast.

Back
Top Bottom