Molokini or Lanai ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say go to Molokini as well. We did Cathedrals 1 and 2, and were glad we did them, but they were a little disappointing. You never know what you're going to see at Molokini, but you're almost always guaranteed to have an awesome dive.

jenazah:
I'll be in Maui next month with my family, but only have time for one boat dive. Should I do Molokini or Lanai Cathedral ? Bear in mind that I'll be going on a snorkeling trip to Molokini also. But it's probably different between diving and snorkeling.

Thanks.
Are you closer to 16 or 50 dives? If you're a newer diver, then inside Molokini crater is probably the best idea. The backwall is for more experienced divers, some operators even expect AOW certification.

Inside the crater at Molokini, you'll see thousands of friendly fish and possibly some white-tips resting in the sand flats in about 50-60' of water. So it's pushing the edge of what PADI thinks you should do, but since the area is sheltered by the cone of Molokini, it's a fairly easy dive.

Some of the bigger snorkel trip boats - the powered cats - also offer a dive option. I paired up with a buddy I met on board and we did our own dive out away from the discover scuba divers, who were busy ruining the viz while going down the mooring line.

The Cathedrals is more of an experience than a diverse dive. Mostly what's in Cathedral 1 are squirrelfish hiding in the shadows and maybe the occasional small shark or lobster. The dive is all about the amazing shafts of light that penetrate from the surface. I show it in my log at 55' but generally a DM leads everyone in and out so although it's an overhead obstructed dive, it's very easy. I haven't dove C2, but I'm guessing it's similar. At times there can be several boats/divegroups in the area.

Cathedral 1:

We just got back from Maui a few weeks ago and didn't have time to take a dive trip, but did do a dive inside the crater. We went on one of those whalewatching/BBQ/snorkel charters to Molokini. I think it was called 'Pride of Maui', we went with one of these because we were with my parents who arent certified so they got to snorkel and we got to dive. If you have time to do another dive to Lanai and a snorkel trip to Molokini I would change the snorkeling to a 1 tank dive and go to Lanai. Almost all of the charters offer a 1 tank dive instead of snorkeling for certified divers. It's like $40 extra, but if you're going with family that can't dive and you still want to get an activity in with them it's a decent option, plus you get more diving in than you expected. I'd recommend diving over snorkeling at Molokini any way, its beautiful for both, but the reef is a bit deep for snorkeling and better off for diving. If you're there during whale season... which I think ends in May.. you will most like;y be able to hear the whales singing when your underwater which was really cool. Anyway hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom