Molokini Kayak Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Wed. I kayaked out to Molokini for a dive. First order of business; watch the 10:20 PM weather from Guy Hagi, and then the morning news from his underlings. Forecast; mild variables with possible afternoon leeward sprinkles, 2-4' south swell (faces), flat and glassy.

My yak is from Australia, a FeelFree Gemini (2-seater). My launch location is Makena Landing. Google Earth puts the distance at 3.9 miles; distance as paddled is a little more than 4 miles. Roommate lost the drain plug yesterday so I had to buy replacement at Ace; ~2 hours behind schedule (10-ish).

P10100017.jpg

P10100037.jpg

P10100047.jpg

Molokini is a small islet that appears to be the right edge of the island in the background (Kaho'olawe) of the first two pictures. My noodle is cut up for the flag float; 50' 1/4" nylon line, no anchor, there are moorings. In the back under the lifejacket is my 5mm Auquastretch. It's supposed to be flat and glassy today, so that's the only gear strapped down. As you can see, this yak has a perimeter rope, so strapping stuff down is not a prob, I'm just lazy and overconfident.

My gear is mostly in the front seat/foot area. This is going to be a lot of work for one dive so I have a 100 cft. Fins, booties and weight belt stowed next to tank, cooler w/ water, yogurt and grapes next to flag at bow. Oly 5050, as in my sig line, is in the small bag w/ mask and sun block; it rides between my feet.

P10100054.jpg

P10100065.jpg

P10100073.jpg

25 minutes or so into the voyage I can just see Little Beach (photo 4), Molokini now juts above the distant Kaho'olawe and looking back to Haleakala the convective lift cloud build-up is earlier than predicted.

No more surface photo's; 15 minutes later the wind picks up to 10 knots out of the North (starboard broadside), small white caps and it starts sprinkling. 10 minutes out of Molokini it's raining and the wind is up to 15 knots with 2-4' seas. I take a couple white caps over the gunnel but still stable.

This yak turns into the wind with one passenger so right arm is paddling harder than the already hard paddling left. Have to turn a little into the weather to get around the East tip of Molokini. The dive boat I used to work on is across the crater on the Reef's End mooring; seems prudent to check in with friends. Had to borrow a proper mooring line, I was only prepared for flat and glassy. :shakehead:

Time to Molokini - 70 minutes (10 more to Prodiver), time to get tied off - 20 minutes. Two out of the 5 guests on Prodiver are ready to toss cookies, they will make a quick first dive and shelter behind Molokini for lunch, checking to see if I need assistance after lunch. Found out later there was no calm water on the backside, guests were miserable, Prodiver bails before I surface. They radio other boats to check if I'm underway and get confirmation.

As usual, life is much easier below. Dropping down quickly just around Reef's End; no white tip reef sharks at the 80' & 90' overhangs. Looking out and down I spot three grey reef sharks below; two ~5', one ~10'. I head their direction while spinning off my WAL; got off two shots of the big one but not very close. Feels deep; 138' says the Suunto, break off pursuit and head back to Reef's End.

P10100086.jpg

P101000911.jpg

Those images are heavily cropped and PhotoShopped, but that was the goal of this dive; grey reef shark! Back up to 110' it becomes more typical of a Molokini dive. I had actually never been to this white tip rest area; like most guides I keep the tourists above 80' so they don't hoover their tank.

P10100113.jpg

P10100143.jpg

P10100156.jpg

P10100164.jpg

By the trevally picture I'm back above 80' and heading across the sand channel. Continued in next post...

Last edited:
These are my best ever longjaw squirellfish pics, but that may be because I've always had more interesting subjects within reach. This dive was pretty plain after the white tips.

P10100242.jpg

P10100257.jpg

P10100303.jpg

P10100314.jpg

Hung out at the Cleaning Station for a while but no large animals in sight. I did hear some dolphin clicks before I crossed the sand channel the first time, but never saw them. A couple pics at the Cleaning Station to show the dif between strobe and ambient at 50' depth.

P10100343.jpg

P10100383.jpg

P10100401.jpg

P10100425.jpg

That good sized white mouth moray is pretty comfortable around a diver, that trevally is likely the same one as earlier (looking down the slope instead of up the slope), and I should have spun off the WAL for the blackside hawkfish (cropped).

Back on the surface after a 60 minute dive, I wrestle the tank back into the yak, get everything back in place and untie. Quick food break as I drift into crater; wind down below 10 knots, no white caps, still overcast, still wearing 5 mil.

20 minutes of paddling and I'm warmed up enough to remove wetsuit. 30 minutes later I put long sleave T on for UV protection. A little more rain convinces me to paddle harder to stay warm. Winds are now out of the South (starboard broadside) so I'm still paddling harder with the right arm. The sun comes out a couple minutes from shore; It's as beautiful as when I left, slightly over 4 hours earlier. Paddling time back from Molokini - 90 minutes or so. Total paddling time - just under 3 hours.

Cleaning gear and loading kayak is a chore after that ordeal, but it's all good cause I pulled it off! :D

That sounds like a lot of work, but definitely a sweet adventure. Nice post too!

great report and pictures.

you have 02 on that boat, right?

lol just kidding

Thnx for the report

Nice Halemano
You are not so lazy. I like the white tip. Good weather report. Are you sure you don't want to be a journalist?

Are you saying I'm just overconfident? Wanting to be a journalist and making a living as a journalist seem to be slightly different. No matter what I want any given week, it always seems I need an agent to sell the idea/concept/product.

Many of the threads I start are black sheep, fringe element diving, even for a solo diver. For me, the real measure of O'hana is all the members who continually bite their tongue (fingertips) when I post the outlandish.

The kind words are always appreciated, nearly as much as the gentle ribbing.

I've never seen a longjaw squirrelfish before. Are they usually quite deep?

Hoover list a second English name of Saber Squirrelfish (2nd printing, page 122) and says "it's most often encountered along the Kona Coast at about 50'." His photo location is Hanauma Bay at 30'. Keoki's only English name for this fish is Saber Squirrelfish, about halfway down the Soldierfish/Squirrelfish page, with his picture taken at 50' in American Samoa.

My pic's are from a similar depth, maybe just deeper than 50', and I think you could see it in that location daily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom