molokini backwall or crater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtlscubadude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to Maui with family for the first time. Trying to decide between diving the crate or backwall at molokini should be the priority. All opinions welcome.
thanks

Having only dove the crater- I'd choose the back wall. It is over 300 foot depth - so how's your buoyancy? Back wall is for more advanced divers.

Be aware though - Molokini is really one of the biggest tourist traps on that island. Maybe 2000 tourists a day go out there...

You may be able to get a charter that does both.

The back is definitely more advanced -- because of the scale and visibility, it is easy to lose perspective. If anyone hasn't got that feedback loop of gauge/eyes/ears/inflator wired, perhaps save it for a future trip.

Thanks. Not a problem doing a drift dive on the wall
Think I'm going to book with ProDiver Maui. They go out to the backwall first.

Back wall. Hanging at 90 ft with dark blue below and whale sounds in the distance is awesome.

Back wall for sure. I usually go out with Lahaina Divers (only because they are close to where I stay). I agree, the whale sounds (when in season) are incredible. Beautiful drift dive! Enjoy

Backwall as long as you’re not a newbie and have your act together. If you can pair with a second dive inside thats good. If you can do that when its not full of a zillion snorkel boats even better. (Though, when we temporarily lost a new diver that had no business being on the backwall she was picked up by a snorkel boat, so there’s that.)

Having done the crater, I would recommend the back wall (having not done it).

Back
Top Bottom